Odd problem with dual soundcards

2lim

Hi! I haven't been around for a long while, and unfortunately most of my recording gear was stolen a short while ago. I recently decided to get back into it, so I am consolidating what resources I have left to get a simple rig going on.

I have a fairly competent computer for what I need, BUT I need at least 4 tracks in to do what I want. At my disposal are two soundblaster live cards, and one crystal aztec card.

I can get the crystal to work with a soundblaster no problem... but the crystal has a noice level of about - 57 regardless of what is hooked up to it.... so it is out. Now when i put both of my SB cards in, the computer crashes as soon as it recognizes the second card. I can use either of the two by themself, with the crystal, but I cant have them both in at the same time. Can anyone shoot me some ideas? I am running windows XP on a PIII with 512 ram.

Thanks

Simon

I don't think it is ever going to work....you might email creative tech support..

2lim said:
Hi! I haven't been around for a long while, and unfortunately most of my recording gear was stolen a short while ago. I recently decided to get back into it, so I am consolidating what resources I have left to get a simple rig going on.

I have a fairly competent computer for what I need, BUT I need at least 4 tracks in to do what I want. At my disposal are two soundblaster live cards, and one crystal aztec card.

I can get the crystal to work with a soundblaster no problem... but the crystal has a noice level of about - 57 regardless of what is hooked up to it.... so it is out. Now when i put both of my SB cards in, the computer crashes as soon as it recognizes the second card. I can use either of the two by themself, with the crystal, but I cant have them both in at the same time. Can anyone shoot me some ideas? I am running windows XP on a PIII with 512 ram.

Thanks

Simon

Standard SBLive drivers??? Wont work... Creative only supports 1 SBLive in a PC.
You can try the unsupported 3rd-party KX drivers for the SBLive; some folk have reported success in running more than one at a time ('couse they'll drift as their clock chips beat separately and might not sync up during recording)

Do yourself a big favor and stop butting your head against the wall... get a real multiple-input soundcard.

Thanks Tim! I was planning on it... but like I said... I kinda starting again with what I have left. I will look into something more 24/96-ish and with a breakout box and whatnot!

Simon

Back