Odd, If you ask me...

You might want to try loosening the head. You have the kick tuned as high as my 12 inch tom. You are right, it doesn't sound bad but it is tuned really high. That is why a kick mic sounds bad on it.

disposable. if thats the tape op mic. i'm not surprised.
thats a VERY good highly respected diy project.
if it sounds good it IS good.

Yeah... It's the TapeOp mic...

Is the kick really tuned that high???
I didn't think so, but I'll try tuning it lower.

The kick is ringing at the same note that my 12 inch tom is tuned to. The fact that it is ringing is a little troubling as well. Here are 3 kick hits. This is the same hit on the same drum with 3 different mics in 3 different positions. It sounds like you are confusing the note of the attack with the note of the head. So you are tuning to the attack instead of the resonance.
http://www.farviewrecording.com/special/kicksamp.wav

There is no resonant head on the kick at this time...
Could have something to do with it?

Also the room is very small, thus very bad acoustically for drums.

Yeah, a pillow.

This is a really crappy drumset as well.
My drummer has beaten the crap out of it over the years.
The resonance you are hearing is very likely the 13" Rack tom.
The mounting hardware is crap...
And the bottom head of the tom actually rests on the top of the kick.

I'll go run and hide now... :)

The head must be tuned too high or the pillow isn't touching enough because that drum rings way too long for the style of playing (on that clip) It might also help if you put the front head back on and just put the hole in it, but the tuning is the bigger issue.
BTW if you are using an 18 inch kick that might explain it too.

No it's a 22"
The pillow may not be making enough contact... I dunno.

That style of playing isn't the normal style played on the kit...
I'm not a drummer so I just do simple fairly low velocity playing.

My drummer has a lot more velocity than I,
And generally uses his double pedal like there is no tomorrow.

By the way... I'm still learning tuning... So I've a lot to learn still.
The kick only has 8 Lugs (Told you it was a crappy set)

The kick in the samples is a 22 with 8 lugs (Tama Rockstar) With Evans Emad head on the batter, black powerstroke on the front with a 4 or 5 inch hole off center and no dampening on the inside. The Emad comes with a dampening ring and I used the biggest one. I was also using a wooden beater. The first sample was a mic about 5 feet in front of the kick.

Let's see...
Mine is a No Name (Soundsource, if you want to get technical, haha)
22" 8 Lug with a Remo Powerstroke 3 Batter Head.

The front, when it is used, is the stock head with an off-center hole...
Not sure of the size of it though.

The size of the hole doesn't matter that much. I prefer the small hole to to the huge one in the center of the drum, but that is just me. I think the 2 kicks are comparable because the Rockstar is the bottom of the line drum made out of Korean goof-wood and round bearing edges.
If you loosen the head up so that it is almost slack you will get a better sound out of it. It will be a little harder to play at first but you get used to it. A lot of guys in the 70's and 80's used bigger kicks (26 inches and sometimes 28) so that they could tighten the head while still having a low note coming from the kick. Pedals have gotten better so it isn't as necessary any more.

I suppose I could try that...
Good thing my drummer doesn't particularly care what I do his set
As long as he can still play it.

Thanks for the tips man.

Back