odd artifact?

liv_rong

Knows very little
I cant figure this out. It sounds like an odd squeaking, almost like a small dog barking. If I turn all fx off I dont hear it. At first I thought it was the snare but if I isolate the snare track I dont hear it anymore then I realized it was coming from the toms but if I isolate those individually I cant hear it. So something funny is happening here that I dont understand. Kick, snare and overheads are compressed and toms have reverb. Nothing on the master. What do you think is happening here?

Attachments

• wtf artifact.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
I don't hear it (on monitors) but if it's really high, I wouldn't. However, when I've run across similar issues in the past, it's usually some kind of bizarre phase issue. Try nudging one of the overhead tracks a few ms to the right or something and see if it goes away.

I'm 46. My hearing drops off pretty sharply above about 8k I hear nothing above 12K

CPU overloading? check the task manager if the CPU is riding up might be your culprit, just rings bells when you say it goes when you turn off FX

Thanks for the lsiten guys. I can hear it in the attached file. It is really noticeable about at around 15 seconds but is also prevalent slightly throughout. CPU is below 10%

Thanks for the lsiten guys. I can hear it in the attached file. It is really noticeable about at around 15 seconds but is also prevalent slightly throughout. CPU is below 10%

Do you hear it on different speakers? Like....monitors, headphones and car? I think you have a blown tweeter and your life is over.

It took me a while, but eventually I could hear it. I didn't really know what I was listening out for. It does indeed sound like a small dog barking.

I would be inclined to rule out system problems (e.g. CPU overload and so on).

And even if the sound disappears when you turn effects off, I would rule out a problem with plug-ins.

My guess is that it is a stray bit of noise that is present at a very low level on the recording, but becomes noticeable when you apply compression. Maybe a squeaky drum seat, or maybe kick pedal.

I'd not worry about it and just leave it in. People will speculate about it for years to come.

It took me a while, but eventually I could hear it. I didn't really know what I was listening out for. It does indeed sound like a small dog barking.

I would be inclined to rule out system problems (e.g. CPU overload and so on).

And even if the sound disappears when you turn effects off, I would rule out a problem with plug-ins.

My guess is that it is a stray bit of noise that is present at a very low level on the recording, but becomes noticeable when you apply compression. Maybe a squeaky drum seat, or maybe kick pedal.

I'd not worry about it and just leave it in. People will speculate about it for years to come.

Thanks, man. You are the second person to come to that conclusion. And lol at the last part. Now I gotta fins uot what the hell is causing it, my ocd doesnt like it!

Heard it clearly. I'm gonna certainly guess that a piece of that kit rubbed up against another. Snare against a tom I am guessing. It may not be prevalent with each solo'd track. Sometimes those strange things build up when other mics are added but not so apparent on any single one.

Anyway, I bet it will drive you personally crazy forever knowing it is there. I know it would me. But nobody else will hear it once there are more instruments in the mix.

Liv, lol...mother fucker. I have ACTUAL dogs barking in my home recordings. Lawn mowers, babies crying, Gunshots from TV's. What do you think makes homerecording so special? The perfection?

If your next recording doesn't have some errant coughing in it, you failed.

Liv, lol...mother fucker. I have ACTUAL dogs barking in my home recordings. Lawn mowers, babies crying, Gunshots from TV's. What do you think makes homerecording so special? The perfection?

If your next recording doesn't have some errant coughing in it, you failed.

LOL! I must say, I worked on a project long ago that I festered over because we thought was a acoustic guitar string squeak. Could not find it to save my life.

Ended up being a wiener dogs squeaky toy on a backup vocal track. We kept it! :) Can't fake that shit!

Back