Octopre Substitutes?

Low resistance, capacitance within the usual limits, ease of termination, suitable stiffness for the application, diameter if that is important, and perhaps numbering, and maybe colour.
Not sure if he means analog of optical.

For the OP. Do a Google search on Adat cables Glass VS Plastic. Optical cables sometimes fail but in an install where you plug in and leave it alone, extremely rare. It's light and it's digital, it either works or doesn't. I've used both without issue but there are proponents for glass and it is better for longer cables. Transfers light more efficiently.

For analog, as previously stated, I'm a fan of making my own. For rack installs I like Belden 9451 because it is easy to work with as the outer sheath is bonded so the foil strips with the sheath. Some like Mogami console cable and was the standard for years. Neutrik XLR and Switchcraft TRS connectors. I do AV installs for a living and have spent a lifetime seemingly making cables.

Well, if you use lightpipe then it's a case of buying ready made optical cables in whatever length you need. The cheap short ones work well, even though the fibre is budget. If you need to go longer distances, then it's always a gamble, but pretty much they all do the distances they claim. For cable, then you should use 110Ohm impedance coax, but again, decent mic cable seems to work OK - and digital is always go/no go, either working perfectly, or not at all.

Optical I covered in the above post. Glass or plastic, pick which ever you can find. Sweetwater has a bunch as does Amazon but stick to recognized brands.

If you need AES EBU 110 ohm, my standard was Canare DA202AT. Markertek in the US sells it for 29 cents per foot or about $152 for a 656 foot roll. Any XLR connector wired the same as a standard mic cable.

Decided to get the Clarett Octo.
Can the pre-amps on this be bypassed if need be?

The clarett has dual connectors (XLR 1/4inch) both front and back. The main issue you are going to run into is that the front connectors are High Z instrument inputs and the 6 back are line, with both bypassing the preamps.

Back