Octava MK 319

yoyo

At your service
I've been offered this for $75. It's a great mic from what I've seen. I'd get it for a xmas present.

I have 2...paid 50 for one and 65 for one....I wouldnt pay much more since its too easy to find them below 70...

It's a dark sounding mic. Only used it on trained/operatic female singers. Mainly sat in the draw until I had the mod done on it. I got the full treatment on the mic. Much more open sound. Useable for a more singers. Nice on acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments.

I've got two - one I got for about 90 and the other for 75. The first one was unusably awful, but I sent it to oktavamod and got the floating dome / premium electronics mod, and it's fantastic now. It's more susceptible to EM (AC) interference than it was, and so there are some places in my antique-wiring house that I can't use it, but when that's not a problem it's my best mic -- huge dynamic range, very good frequency coverage without being at all harsh, dead quiet, etc.

The other one sounded OK to start out with, so I removed the internal layer of screen and the plastic covers on the capsule. It sounded a little better after that - noticeably more brittle than the first, but still good.

I guess I'm saying I'd hit it. If you get a chance to hear it first, it would be worthwhile.

how is that possible????? they sell for a lot more on the internet

its very possible...I purchased both from members of the board here...one from Chessrock....and Id have to go back through posts to see who the other came from....I have had the Floating dome PE mod done to one....second has not yet made it but it will probably get the flat top PE mod.

YoYo- My experience with the mic is that at least some of them are damn good mics, and they don't all sound the same. I've used two extensively, and while they are both perfectly good mics, they sound completely different. My ex-girlfiend's is much brighter than mine, almost like a U87. Mine is dark and smooth, a favorite on female vox. They are both Russian made, and about the same period. My point is that while the mics are cheap, and often very good, the quality control and components are variable, and the tolerances are pretty poor. Therefore, you can't believe what anyone says about the mic will apply to the one you are talking about. On the other hand, it is a very worthy gamble that it will be good for something. Both of the mics I have used are excellent mics, even if the price point isn't considered. They just aren't the same. Go for it. If the mic works, I'm betting it will be good for something. I just can't tell you what.-Richie

YoYo- My experience with the mic is that at least some of them are damn good mics, and they don't all sound the same. I've used two extensively, and while they are both perfectly good mics, they sound completely different. My ex-girlfiend's is much brighter than mine, almost like a U87. Mine is dark and smooth, a favorite on female vox. They are both Russian made, and about the same period. My point is that while the mics are cheap, and often very good, the quality control and components are variable, and the tolerances are pretty poor. Therefore, you can't believe what anyone says about the mic will apply to the one you are talking about. On the other hand, it is a very worthy gamble that it will be good for something. Both of the mics I have used are excellent mics, even if the price point isn't considered. They just aren't the same. Go for it. If the mic works, I'm betting it will be good for something. I just can't tell you what.-Richie

thanks for the advice!

I've had this mic in my studio for about 1 month now, my friend who's offering to sell it to me lent it to me to try out. Now i haven't used a lot of mics before, cuz i'm kinda under experienced. lol. But it sounded really good with my sister's voice, as well as with my acoustic guitar. I think for $75, this is the perfect starter LDC mic.

thanks for the advice!

I've had this mic in my studio for about 1 month now, my friend who's offering to sell it to me lent it to me to try out. Now i haven't used a lot of mics before, cuz i'm kinda under experienced. lol. But it sounded really good with my sister's voice, as well as with my acoustic guitar. I think for $75, this is the perfect starter LDC mic.

Save up $200 and en it to www.Oktavamod.com
You won't be sorry.

Google the Russian vs Chinese made MK-319 for info

Well I got mine for $135 years ago and I am super happy with it for recording basic vocals. There has been a lot of talk about the Russian vs the Chinese made MK-319's. Apparently an Oktava distributor in England (ASM), commissioned Chinese made-copies without Oktava's permission. I have verified mine as Russian-made. if you need details about how to distinguish the two, I 'd google the subject.

Please note that some folks really like their Chinese made Mk-319's just as much, esp for $60-$65! I remain neutral as I do not own both varieties.

Back