Octabans

They were never cool. The only thing they were good for was to make it easy to spot people with more money than sense.

I don't know. The way Stewart Copeland used them, no they weren't cool. The way Simon Phillips uses them, they are incredibly cool! Listen to the track "Streetwise" off of the solo album "Protocol" and you'll see what I mean!

The secret for Simon's sound is to mount the mic inside the shell just at the bottom. Let the tuning stay kind of low.

He doesn't really use them anymore. He's switched to a timbale and a side snare.

The only person I can think of is Mike Portnoy and uh... he just has too many drums. I think he got them because he had a few inches of room left and had to have more drums.

Alex Van Halen used them too. I think they were mainly for show, alot of guys who have huge sets had them. I'm not sure how functional they are.

they sound cool, but they're like a gong. how often are you going to use them? and , do you really want to carry them around from gig to gig?

Instead of octobans, I bought a bunch of used 6" Black Rototoms and mounted them on a rack I made. Worked for me. :D

Tim

Tim Brown said:
Instead of octobans, I bought a bunch of used 6" Black Rototoms and mounted them on a rack I made. Worked for me. :D

Tim

clever idea. i used to want to put together an all roto tom kit (well, except for snare...roto snare would be awesome, though), but never could find the big roto toms. now that i gave up on the idea i see big roto toms all the time.

my2cents said:
clever idea. i used to want to put together an all roto tom kit (well, except for snare...roto snare would be awesome, though), but never could find the big roto toms. now that i gave up on the idea i see big roto toms all the time.
The last time I saw Trans Am, the drummer's toms were all of the roto variety.

Roto toms don't have the same sound, though! Roto's are bright, whereas octobons have a deep throughty sound. Very dark and dry.

Tim Brown said:

Tim
What is the difference between $600 octaBANS
AND $100 ROTO TOMS :D

I LOVE MIKE p. and the siamese......
Images and Words!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Farview said:
They were never cool. The only thing they were good for was to make it easy to spot people with more money than sense.

So do you like them or not? :D

Back