Oct/Nov Challenge ~ Strat1958's finished (?) product

Strat1958

Late-blooming songwriter!
Well, as I said in a previous post - my job is absolute mayhem for the next few months. But I finally managed to get my little tune put together!

As I also said before, this is the most depressing set of lyrics I've written. So as not to make the whole listening experience pure drudgery, I did make the arrangement a little - well - not 'lighthearted', but maybe a little laid-back for the subject matter.

The song does have a hopeful ending, so the laid-back approach hopefully works.

I am really happy with the guitar sound on this recording. No boominess or clipping, and I didn't even use any compression!

So, here it is.........

GONE © 2009 Mike Pilling

Empty house, empty streets
Same old same old, just repeats
Empty feeling in my soul
You had gone

Empty nights, empty days
Stumbling through it, in a haze
It was out, of my control
Since you’d gone

[CH]
Coming home, the room was cold
Overnight, I felt so old
Coming home, the light was on
But it was dark
Yeah it was dark
Because you’d gone

How did I help, create this mess?
The whistling wind, cried emptiness
I heard a voice outside the door
But you’d gone

I wouldn’t change, I wouldn’t say
That everything was not OK
My footsteps echoed, on the floor
Cause you’d gone

[BRIDGE]
Now there’s a phrase, time has a way
And tomorrow doesn’t have to be today
Don’t start over – start again
Pull some sunshine through the rain

[CH]
Coming home, the room is warm
Clouds are clearing, from the storm
Coming home, the light is on
My emptiness
My emptiness
Yeah my emptiness is nearly gone

Thanks for contributing!

I'll comment more fully when the other contributions. However I'm liking what I'm hearing. Great movement in the chords. There's a very open sound to this.

I like the fact that you didn't use compression. I love technology . . . but I also love not using it. Just because it is there doesn't mean that you have to. And you've shown the highly credible results you can get without it!

I think you have done a wonderful job with this song. It has a similar lazy feel to "Blue Horizon", though this time reflecting the "gone-ness' of its lyrics.

There is a great sense of movement in the chords . . . a pleasant break from the conventional, and the song pulls me along with it as I wonder what is going to happen next. I enjoyed the very tasteful acoustic guitar lead . . . just the right touch, and with a great sense of restraint.

The drum entry at the start is a bit ragged, and slightly at the start of the chorus and in the fills, but for the most part they sat in there nicely.

Were there some faint vocal "ooos" in the background in the last lines of the chorus? If so, they might come up a bit.

I enjoyed listening to this immensely . . . well done!!

Nice acoustic sound working here Mike. I loved the cord progression, sitting here thinking, where's he going next? Worked great. Melody was nice and just enjoyable to listen. Instrumental's were very solid. This song reminded me of a song that may be played at the end of a show like Greys Anatomy. Good job.

Charlie

Nice development on the Big O melody.
With a few alterations this could be almost WYWHere period Floyd.
I think the snare is too prominent for the piece - maybe some reverb to soften it?
You have a really nice warm, confessional quality to your voice - it sells the song even more.
Excellent solo acoustic sound - works a treat.
the song & whole package is a treat!

Thank you to everyone for their feedback, suggestions and comments. I really appreciate the time you took to listen.

What I didn't say in the early stages of this process was that the song was autobiographical. My wife and I split up a couple of years ago, and this song describes my thoughts and feelings at the time. Just like in the song, we found our way back, and we are now stronger than ever, by a long shot. She likes the song, by the way ;-)

Merry Christmas to one and all.

-Mike

Back