Occasionally horrid Squelching noise during playback

sushi-mon

Sometimes, while I am tracking in PT and playing back a selection for practicing overdubbing. When I hit the space bar, I get this horridly loud squelch noise that comes through once in a while. Scared the heck out of me, so I always turn down my headphones and monitors before everytime I hit play. It is annoying to do this all the time, and re-adust levels.

WHAT IS THIS ???

I somehow think it has something to do with the computer "putting off interupts", and all the noise is caught up until I hit play and it gets released.

Are you by chance doing any digital connections between gear? Like lightpipe to/from your soundcard?

Ford Van said:
Are you by chance doing any digital connections between gear? Like lightpipe to/from your soundcard?

No. MBOX 2 and a bass hooked up DI is the scenario that it happed and couple of times. It is not all the time, it seems to happen after things have sat a while, then I hit the spacebar to start playing again, and the squelch comes out. That is why I think it is some sort of "build up" of noise (?)

Check your DAE playback buffer. Set it to a moderate setting (not one extreme or another). I've had problems with setting it really high, where bounced files all had a squelching sound at the end.
You aren't using any demo plugins by any chance are you? Some demo's squelch white noise every so often to gentlly persuade you into (not) buying their product. :rolleyes:

reshp1 said:
Check your DAE playback buffer. Set it to a moderate setting (not one extreme or another). I've had problems with setting it really high, where bounced files all had a squelching sound at the end.
You aren't using any demo plugins by any chance are you? Some demo's squelch white noise every so often to gentlly persuade you into (not) buying their product. :rolleyes:

You probably are right, I have always gone extremes with this. I usually go minimum buffering for recording, to help practically eliminate latency, then maximum buffering during playback.

I actually have not gone into using a lot of plug ins, yet. But I will definitely keep that in mind. :cool:

The H/W buffer (the one that controls latency) might have something to do with it too, but the DAE buffer is a different setting below the H/W buffer in the settings menu. It's "level 1" through "level 8" I believe, and it controls how long there is between when you hit play and when the DAW actually responds.

reshp1 said:
The H/W buffer (the one that controls latency) might have something to do with it too, but the DAE buffer is a different setting below the H/W buffer in the settings menu. It's "level 1" through "level 8" I believe, and it controls how long there is between when you hit play and when the DAW actually responds.

Ahh, yes there is an extrememly long delay when I hit play. I don't know where it is at currently, but, I should set it lower ? The delay is annoying as heck.

Back