Occasional card errors with BR-864

hheilman

Occasionally (like probably 10-15 times over 3-4 months) I have gotten a card error while working on a song (unfortunately, I can't remember whether it says "card read" or "card write" error).

When this happens, the current song is corrupted -- sometimes some tracks can still be played, other times the whole song is toast. Songs other than the current one are not affected.

It is hard for me to pinpoint any pattern, it has happened after different types of actions but I would say it may tend to happen after I have done several actions very quickly. Sometimes after this happens, I will get the "event full" message a bit later and Song Optimize doesn't fix it.

My questions:
1) Is this something other BR-864 users have seen?
2) The manual says such errors may be due to a bad card. Would
occasional errors like this really indicate a bad card, or are problems
like this to be expected when using a flash memory-based recorder?
3) If I were to move up to a hard-disk recorder like the BR-1200, does
song corruption just become a non-issue? (other than with something
catastrophic like a disk crash).

I've had my 864 for about a year now. I use it almost every day and I'm constantly undoing/redoing and moving stuff around and things like that. Stuff that the card has to read or write to perform. I've never once had a card read/write error. I've been using the card that came with it the entire time. I've actually never had any problem of any kind with this recorder. Since day one it's done everything it's advertised to do.

My guess would be the same as the manual's guess: bad card. I'd suggest getting a new card.

There's definitely advantages to a hard disk recorder. For one, the sound quality is better because it's not recording in a compressed format to fit onto the flash media (atleast I'm pretty sure this is true) Though I couldn't personally see it being any more reliable since my 864 unit has been nothing but reliable so far.

Are you using the card that came with the recorder: Are you sure this doesn't happen because you're trying to press something or perform an action when the card is read/writing? Like when it says "song recording" or something like that?

Just some ideas.

Hopefully it's just a bad card, because you can get a 128MB compact flash memory card (same size that comes with the 864) for as low as about $12(US)

I have a Delkin EFilmPro 640 MB card in it (was on the recommended sheet)

When it is writing to the card, it usually flashes a message like "Do not power off, writing" or something like that. I am guessing the problem may occur if I perform an action while it is doing that (although I have done that lots of times and it hasn't gotten the error).

Must be some type of timing window that I hit occasionally.

thx for reply... Hans

Back