oasisy-beatlesy band from Long Wave

LongWaveStudio

hey guys,

just finished a 2 day reording sesh witha band. have a listen to the track if you can. i mixed this on the same day as the last tracking day, so i know there's a little balance problems here and there. i had to make a quick mix for the managment to hear.

still a really nice track though. got loads of takes using different drum kits, and different mics.

final mix should be up here by monday.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/longwave/album9

track is called Tired Silence.

It sounds like the voice has too much high eq that makes it sound a bit graty.

The bass sounds a little flabby, drums sound a little soggy

It sounds good, but I hold you to a higher standard than hobbyists :D

funk on!

cyan,
thanks for listening.im going to my studio in an hour or so. ill have a listen to it later tonight for what you said. i may not be mxing it till wednesday now, grrr.

Well they're no Amy Phillips but it sounds pretty good for a start.

Take the following as my opinion, not that you would take it any other way.

I like the acoustic in the beginning and actually the guitar and bass sounds all around are pretty nice, but I'd like to hear more of that acoustic throughout. Singing is good as well.

The effects on the drums were bothering me. Sounded like the effects were taking over the drums, especially the snare. And was that a real drummer? Cause he/she clammed the kick drum in a couple spots to the point that it's noticable ( ex :24). Sorry, had to get that out.

It's wierd but ever since you put out that first Amy Phillips song, I have this really high mark for you to hit in my mind so I'm probably being overcritical. It sounds better than anything I'm capable of anyway.

Thanks.

cheers for the crit eric.

i just listened to it today, and i heard what you mean with the effects. bear in mind though , this is basically monitor mix which i tweaked on the tracking day and slung to DAT.

the final version should sound wicked, cus my monitor mix never sounds as good as it does!

im probably going to take the mp3 down quite soon, cus there are a few things wrong with it. ill just post the track when ive actaully mixed it.

Hey Romesh, cool! I obviously like it better than your Amy project (nothing against her, at all, she's certainly a good singer, just not my thing.) The guitar at the beginning definitely has that Oasis Wonderwall thing, and I agree, would be good if it was more present throughout. I also heard the kick drum problem, although I thought maybe it was the bass. I liked the tremelo type guitar thing too, though maybe not so often. The reverb, too, I always have mixed thoughts on that. What sort of reverb do you use? I've got to get a good reverb.

Macle

The mix was fine, but I have to wonder how that drummer ever got accepted into a band. That is some awful time, it must be extremely difficult for that band to write songs.

Ditto on the drums. I heard an almost constant clicking. Might be my junky headphones.

Other than that, I actually liked the overall musical sound of the band. The guitars sound great, the vocalist has a nice voice.

I thought the material was a bit weak. The melody was a bit boring IMO. The harmonies were pretty standard. This is one of those songs where the lyrics have been written a thousand times before. "Cry when you're born. Rejoice when you die." God I cringe when I hear things like that. What the hell does that mean?

I honestly think you did your job well. The band played well (except the drummer). If they concentrated on writing a bit more they could have a good thing going.

That's a good idea.

It needs some work. :) The high end on the vocals (which also sound kind of boxey/phasey) and cymbals is very grating and hard to listen to. I'm sure you'll work your mixing magic and have it sounding like a top-10 hit in no time . . . like the rest of the stuff you do.

You did a good job on the tracking but that drummer does some have issues. Around 2:15 he is just horrible. Is that the MP3 glitching? The farther into the song the worse he gets. I hope you guys can salvage that.

If you can fix the timing mistakes and tighten up the low end it should be pretty decent. The high end sounded fine on my Klipschs.

hey Tex!

should be able to sort the drum track out. i got about 8 takes of the track in ProTools.

i did the monitor mix with HR824's which is probably the reason on the low end. i dont know if it's just me, but i just cant mix on those things.

cheers man:-)
nice to see you Tex:-)

TripleM said:
"Cry when you're born. Rejoice when you die." God I cringe when I hear things like that. What the hell does that mean?

I think that means when you are born you are immediately shackled to a body thats bound to suffer hardships on earth and we you die, you are released from the shackles of that body.

But someone like hitler gets a brand new set of chains when they die:DIt's 3:10 am and this is a ramble.Damn ,I dont even do drugs or drink and managed to write this nonsense. ...

I'm actually kinda supprised you posted this song....for a couple reasons...

first off, your Amy stuff is recorded soooo much better..
why this band?...do you really think they are that good?
don't you have more bands to choose something from?
the performances are kinda off in places...as mentioned above.
It's just a supprise. It's not that this sucks...but is kinda 'beneath' your past posts, and more on the home reccor level....thus kinda a supprise and it just erodes your credibilty as a great studio. I'd yank it and bury it. Put up some musicianship to match your engineering skills. You need good musicians to show your talants too.

sorry to be so negative and blunt, but figured you prefer honest opinions rather than sugar coated comments.

plus...put the tune up so I can stream it...and not have to login and download..and all that jazz.... you only had the one option at nowhere.

hm, it was a bad song to post, not only that, it was a tweaked monitor mix. i just haven't been on the mp3 forum for a while, so i thought id post something.

ok, so you want me to post something with top production? :-)
wait till the new amy stuff is done:-) we're demoing it now, for the next 2months or so.

LongWaveStudio said:
hm, it was a bad song to post, not only that, it was a tweaked monitor mix. i just haven't been on the mp3 forum for a while, so i thought id post something.

ok, so you want me to post something with top production? :-)
wait till the new amy stuff is done:-) we're demoing it now, for the next 2months or so.

yeah...I can understand the fidelity of a "push fader" ruffie mix...and yours are even better than some peoples' "finished" mixes. ..but why?

and of course, I (maybe we) want to hear TOP PRODUCTION. Personally, I kinda get tired of when people post unfinished mixes with mistakes they know are there, and other admitted problems. Why and what could we learn from that?... I say, fix the known mistakes first, then present something...or at least the best you can do. We can learn a lot from people like you, how you get your good sounds, why you balance certain things a certain way...what reverbs...etc. And...I understand people wanting assistance on a "work in progress", but I want (prefer)to hear killer shit....and LEARN how to make my stuff sound "killer" too. ka-peesh??

anwayzzz...thanks for the post, however......just watch out showing us your dirty underware:eek: People prefer seeing you (I think) in a "new, fresh outfit, instead.

Hey...on a side note...do you have a website or any pics of your setup??

hi mixmkr,

i guess i just got too bored:-)

i was browsing my local music shop today, and saw the Behringer Magician ive been hearing so many bad reviews about. i buy stuff from the store a lot, so they let me take one to the studio to have a play.

man, the thing is shite! it sounds nothing like valve circuitry! and to make things even more fustrating, it seems that you have to give this unit like, 140db worth of signal! unless you really drive the thing hard, it wont do anything! my mixer wouldn't push it hard at all, the meters barely left the starting point.

wellllll, this is going straight back. allthough, im debating keeping it cus it does look really impressive. something nice to look at:-)

in regards to a website mixmkr, it's on it's way. havent got one of the studio sorted properly yet.

Back