Oasis "freebies"

lotuscent

I checked out Oasis for CD duplication because i was interested in all their "free" promotional stuff...

After talking to a sales rep and figuring in all the hidden costs, it was pretty darn expensive, over 300 more than Discmakers, which isn't the cheapest either.

So really, these promotional things aren't free, but do they work, most notably their "samplers' in which they target DJ's, Radio Stations, etc. with genre specific stuff including one of your own pick.

Does anybody have experience with this? Do you think it actually works?

My guess would be that the only thing that the samplers do is make the manufacturer richer. I highly doubt that if they DO actually get in the hands of say a radio programer that they would actually listen to it, let alone spin it.

In general, radio is a big waste of time and money. If you don't have distribution and don't have live shows in the area, it's just an ego stroke...assuming you can actually get air time.

That being said, Oasis will get you a kick ass CD. You can cut corners, but you may end up paying more if you don't know what you are doing and get into the hidden fees like glass master, film seperations, etc.

What you are pushing can make or break you, so make sure you do it right.

David

--
KR TIP SHEET - Film/TV Music Placement and more...

www.krtipsheet.com/

David Hooper said:
In general, radio is a big waste of time and money. If you don't have distribution and don't have live shows in the area, it's just an ego stroke...assuming you can actually get air time.

That being said, Oasis will get you a kick ass CD. You can cut corners, but you may end up paying more if you don't know what you are doing and get into the hidden fees like glass master, film seperations, etc.

What you are pushing can make or break you, so make sure you do it right.

David

--

www.krtipsheet.com/

David Hooper said:

--

www.krtipsheet.com/

Well, this is my 4th release - my first I messed up and signed an exclusive distribution deal that left me nowhere (just got it terminated today!), second and third I duplicated myself and sold locally only.

Now I'm coming up with definitely my best work to date so i want to give it every opportunity - as far as getting a "kick ass CD" goes, I think anyplace can do that as long as they have high manufacturing standards. The mastering and design are really the key.

The point is that Oasis is EXPENSIVE! I just wanted to hear from anyone who has an opinion as to whether their promotional stuff is worth it.

lotuscent said:
as far as getting a "kick ass CD" goes, I think anyplace can do that as long as they have high manufacturing standards. The mastering and design are really the key.

Exactly. Most musicians don't understand that and that is where the process gets messed up.

Oasis of Disc Makers will hold your hand through the process and let you know this...

Or you could just come here, I guess. :D

--

www.krtipsheet.com/

My partner and I had Oasis do our first CD.

Their quality control and customer service are absolutely stellar... second to none! They were extremely helpful, knowledgeable and professional throughout our dealings with them. They even called us after delivery to make sure everything arrived in perfect condition and that we were completely satisfied. I've heard of other CD duplicators who send you a thousand CD's and dozens of them have skips or problems with the songs even playing! I've also seen people order a thousand CD's from less-reputable duplicators and the color of the print on the cover of their CD's varied from box to box. I'm not kidding about this stuff, it really happens quite often. You won't get an order like that with Oasis. That's part of the reason you'll pay a bit more for them. I'm not saying that all other CD duplicators won't give you a good product, but I believe in the old addage... "you get what you pay for."
If this is your best work to date, you might want to ponder that for awhile.

The best song on our CD made it to their Country Music sampler and we got some minimal airplay in Holland and Belgium because of it, but nothing here in the U.S.

I wouldn't expect the sampler CD to get you noticed and/or famous. But it's a real impressive little tool for getting the gig when you show a club manager or bar owner that one of your songs is on a compilation disc that gets distributed to radio stations. It's a guaranteed deal-maker and helps to bump up your "asking price." ;)

Hope that helps you some. :)

I've used Oasis and have no real complaints. They were always courteous and helpful. As far as the sampler goes, you never know. At the very least, it should lead to some web site hits, and perhaps some sales that you otherwise you might not have gotten. I recently appeared on their Acoustic Vol 40 sampler. From a listener's perspective, I like these things. All kinds of great music there, that's well-produced and unknown!

Rick

If you guys are going to deal with Oasis, get hooked up with Alex. She is great.

Tell her David from Kathode Ray Music sent you.

Back