O-KAY!!! Got my J-Station, now what???

Slaps Forehead

Couldn't pass it up, $99 at Musician's Enabler.

I've got an Epi 335 and a crap 30w Rogue amp.

What's the best way to play/record this now?
335 -> JStation -> PC?
335 -> JStation -> Rogue -> SM57 -> PC?
335 -> JStation -> monitor (Studiophile 5B) -> SM57 -> PC?

different mic? (I got a bunch...)

And what settings on the J-Station do you like? Are some emulations more accurate than others? Anything just amazingly sweet?

I gotta admit, I'm not much of a guitarist, and I'll probably use this more for keyboards - but I know that THERE, I'm wandering into uncharted territory. So I figured I'd start with the 335, get a handle on the box that way, then move over to the keys. Sound like a plan?

Thanks in advance.:)

with a hollow body guitar, the J sounds decent in the Blackface, Brit Combo (Vox), J Clean, Bandmaster, and Bassman sims. Go to the Johnson website, get onto the forums there, and there is a patch library: check a whole bunch out. It is hard to answer this question without knowing your style. I use a J, and am pretty happy with it, but it isn't like a real amp, I have three of those. But at 11pm when the baby is asleep, put the headphones on and play some loud music without so much as making anyone else twitch.

If you have a PC with a S/PDIF in on the soundcard, you can record direct that way. You will find it sounds a little thin, but you can fatten it up by double-tracking. It is also a good idea to run your guitar into a Y-splitter so that you can record the J-station output AND record a totally dry guitar track that you can then reroute back through the J to try out different pathces on the same guitar track. I have found it works better for double-tracking by not replaying it, but just taking the dry recorded signal, running it through a couple of different amp models and mixing/panning to taste.

if you plug it into the amp, make sure you turn Cab Sim off, or it will sound like mud.

You will also find the J sounds good on clean settings and good on distorted settings, but getting that place right in the middle is very difficult.

Also: USE J-Edit. If you don't have it yet, get it from Johnson-amp.com, free download. Hook up your J to the computer via MIDI, and then you can tweak the sound much more easily.

Call MF and ask for a $10 credit, because they're selling them for $89.99 now (check the little book they include with your order)

Tempted to pick up one myself even though I have no need for it...must resist...

At that price? Why resist? UNless you already have a POD. Of course a modeller isn't a real amp, I now have 4 real amps: Garnet Mohawk 7W all tube, Fender Frontman 25R, Vox Cambridge Twin 30, and a Peavey Ecoustic 112, three electric guitars, a Tele, a Strat and an Epiphone semi-hollow body, and an acoustic with p/u. Even still I use the J regularly for late night playing, and it fills in some holes in recordings that I can't get out of the other amps. PLUS it has bass amp models as well.

what soundcard are you recording with......

usually i just go straight to the card but sometimes Ill use the "dry track" feature and send a dry stereo track straight into the s/pdif and then go out of the analog outputs into my amp and mic it with a sm57......

for that guitar Id go with the blackface.....

as with any amp, the first thing i do is pull of all the effects that are preset......

David Lo Pan said:
Call MF and ask for a $10 credit, because they're selling them for $89.99 now (check the little book they include with your order)

Tempted to pick up one myself even though I have no need for it...must resist...

Got the $10 credit last night. Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks, c & gidge,

I use a Delta 66.

First pass through the presets, really liked the blues amp model. I'll go back and try the blackface (Twin Reverb?) and the rest cstockdale recommended. And I'll check out the j-forums and j-edit. J-edit 1.2 was on the disc they included.

Hey, are these guys the same company as Digitech? My power supply was in a DT box. DT makes the WORST keyboard controller I've ever bought...:(

I'm gonna try it with the Rhodes and Clavinet this weekend. Can't wait to hear what the acoustic emulation does for the Rhodes - poor man's Dyno-my mod???

if you have midi and can transmit sysex, download all the patches that people upload to thr Johnson site from here . You can also get the Jedit software form there. There are 380 patches right now, so you can start playing with those.
Cheers, Andrés

Yea, I like to record the analog outs with the spdif, it really fattens up the sound alright (recording direct).

> O-KAY!!! Got my J-Station, now what???

Get J-Edit working.

Without J-Edit, the J-Station is basically nothing.

With it, it's a very worthwhile device and a great bargain.

David Lo Pan said:

MF Website says they are still $99.99. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

CR ><>

That was fun - tried it on one of the QS-8's better (clean) guitar patches last night - 8-bar solo, sounded better live than on the track, though. Not sure if I'll keep it, but the guitarists who are SUPPOSED to cut the solo keep flaking out on me...:(

Daf ("Slaps" no more)

Back