O. K. What would you do.....

Razor

Howdy all,

Here's the gig: One week week, 12 songs to mix, rock and/(or) roll. I am working in a small project studio on some 24x8 board that I haven't seen yet. My question is about the various outboard pieces on their inventory and where to put them as I am not familier with all of them.
First the compressors - an ART PRO VLA, a DBX 166XL, a DBX Digital Dynamics Processor, and the inevitable (sigh) 3630. Oh, yeah, three RNC and a Meek VC3Q that I am bringing in my carry on.
The EQ's are a couple o' M-EQ 230's and an old blue faced MXR fifteen band (not much there).
Here's what I was thinking - The Pro VLA on the vox with maybe the MXR. The 166 and a M-EQ 230 on the kick/snare. The DBX DDP on the ovewr heads and room mics. The Meek on the bass (or main vox?). The 3630 and a MEQ 230 on guitars. RNCs on keys and background stuff.

Any thoughts from any of of all the fine folks out there would help as I am strapped for time and don't have the luxury of time to get to know the gear and where it works best. I also only want to wire the place up once if possible (I am a dreamer).
If anybody owns any of these peices and loves it for some reason please let me know know why.

The Pro Vla seems nice, tube, stereo, big meters, but no real control over attack and release. Just fast/auto (?). The DDP is interesting, very programmable gate, compressor and eq, seems to be perfect for a srereo thing like overheads maybe?.....Thanks and stay warm...........Charles

Man... all never minds to the home rec.world.

In light of threads rolling, please one and all disregard remarks above.
All faders to unity and ride the wav.s.

...C

...... and if you'll be anyplace where there is ice and/or snow..... throw that 3630 under the rear wheels - it'll give ya some really good traction (and that's about all!) of course, unlessen ets wona dem thar front wheel drive vee-hic-ills!!

The DDP has some fun presets that can be altered and stored. The setups of the programs can be changed to your liking and recalled into a program. If you use the analog OP's the 24 bit D/A uses the full 24 bit signal. But, if u r recording from the digital OP (if it has the dig I/O card installed) to a 16 bit (DAT) u should prob use dither. Dither parameters found: DS/DTH key on the keypad. You can use flat TPDF when mixing down to the DAT. Good Fun Have Mixin', and really drop 10 and punt that 3630. Get some steel toe Docs!

Dithering and front wheel traction engaged. This thing is cool and spicy for over-head save-happy nevermind roll thru redemtion mix ya' no...
'preciate it.....

It seems that 3060 spin about guitar solo rocks the background slight Wedge Plate decay..........C

... got the 8*10 glossy, but I'd still boot that boat anchor. Now that RNC... I'd dust its ruffles, clean its dishes, that box is picante thru and thru! Play with that DDP - IT's FUN!

Back