Nylon Strings on a Budget

Rhythmschism

I've been looking to buy a mic to use for recording my Cordoba 40R classical guitar, and haven't been able to find much posted here about mics that sound good on this type of instrument. The only recommendation I've found that is in my price range is the SP C4's by Richard. The mic I buy will also be the only real mic I have at this point and versatility is a factor, but the main focus will be the guitar. I have been considering the AT 3035, as I have heard it is very versatile but am not sure how it would sound on nylon strings. As I mentioned, Richard seems to think the C4s are good on nylons. Also, just a shot in the dark, but has anyone ever tried an SM57 on nylon strings? Any other opinions? I'd say my price limit is about $300 at the time being.

Reactions: XLR
Rhythmschism said:
Also, just a shot in the dark, but has anyone ever tried an SM57 on nylon strings? Any other opinions? I'd say my price limit is about $300 at the time being.

Not a good idea. Try the SM81 though.

It all depends on the sound you want. I've actually gotten some great sounds out of a classic guitar with an SM58 shoved as close to the sound hole as I could get. But, that was for a meaty fingerpicked country sound.

I'd suggest a pair of Oktava MK012 if you'll be recording solo tracks that won't feature any other instrumentation or voice.

If you need a mic that can fill several needs then look to the Audio-Technica AT4040.

Actually there probably will be other instruments/vocals fairly often, so I'd probably be looking for something that would be able to blend in decently enough with a full mix. I had thought about the 4040, I'll look into it, thanks.

mshilarious said:
Try the SM81 though.
I would 2nd that. I use an sm81 specifically for strings, mainly violin and banjo, in my opinion it is an excellent SDC mic. And WILL prove to be a versatile instrument mic.

Reactions: XLR
I'll go with that - The SM-81 is on the short list of "trapped on an island" mics. Pretty darn good on whatever you throw it at.

Back