Nut question...

32-20-Blues

I just bought a new ukulele (very cheap) to experiment with some new tunings.

It sounds fine, but the intonation is problematic. It's a soprano size, so the problem is even bigger due to the short scale length.

So far, I have lowered the action by sanding the bottom of the saddle, which helped matters somewhat, but I think the nut slots are cut too high (actually, I know they are, because I measured them :)), which means that notes played on the first or second frets are way sharp.

So, how can I lower the nut slots without buying a set of nut files? Any tools that I can improvise with? A junior hacksaw blade or the like? Like I said, it's a dirt cheap uke, so I'm not that worried about finesse.

you can pop the nut off and just sand or file down the bottom or find anything small enough to cut the slots. it's probably just plastic. you could get an exacto saw or some cheap neadle files from a hobby shop.

get a very sharp blade and scribe a line at the back of the nut to avoid breaking out the finish or taking any extra off when you knock the nut off if your confident enough scribe the bottom edge of the nut at the side as well as well but not too deep just scratch a line. Take a small block of wood that sits flush to the front of the nut on the fingerboard and tap it firmly until it comes off. It should come off easily. You can then sand the bottom of the nut to lower it.

Do you remember the trick about using a pencil planed flat to mark the fret hight on the face of the nut? If not I'll give it again. The final string hight should be on that line. The nut is just another fret.

You could also take this chance to make up a few nuts. With a uke you are dealing with nylon strings and you should be able to cut fret slots with a selection of jewelers files hack saw blades with fine wet and dry and all manner of home made files. Give it a go, it won't cost a lot and it's a good learning exercise. You'll need to get the slots smooth so they don't cut into the string thats your biggest challenge. You can use scraps of any hard wood and if you not happy stick the original nut back on. Nothing lost.

get a very sharp blade and scribe a line at the back of the nut to avoid breaking out the finish or taking any extra off when you knock the nut off if your confident enough scribe the bottom edge of the nut at the side as well as well but not too deep just scratch a line. Take a small block of wood that sits flush to the front of the nut on the fingerboard and tap it firmly until it comes off. It should come off easily. You can then sand the bottom of the nut to lower it..

Great, thanks! I just did this, it came off okay, no damage to the finish whatsoever.

Do you remember the trick about using a pencil planed flat to mark the fret hight on the face of the nut? If not I'll give it again. The final string hight should be on that line. The nut is just another fret.

Yeah, I remember the trick; it's how I decided that the slots weren't deep enough to begin with. Never let it be said that I don't pay attention.

You could also take this chance to make up a few nuts. With a uke you are dealing with nylon strings and you should be able to cut fret slots with a selection of jewelers files hack saw blades with fine wet and dry and all manner of home made files. Give it a go, it won't cost a lot and it's a good learning exercise. You'll need to get the slots smooth so they don't cut into the string thats your biggest challenge. You can use scraps of any hard wood and if you not happy stick the original nut back on. Nothing lost.

Yeah, i'll try and make a couple. So far, after some testing, I found that a hacksaw blade is giving me the best results. I found some scrap walnut and some mahogany from a window moulding so I'll try working with that for the moment. I'm determined to get this thing playing in tune.

Back