numetalish song, my first original upload...check it

alright folks, here's a song i've been working on almost all week that's finally pretty much finished. this is i think the first serious original tune that i've posted here, and probably the first time i've let my singing voice be heard in public, haha. couldn't find anyone else to sing, and my voice is really pitchy, so i just covered it up with a ton of FX. :o

here's the link:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5556674&q=hi

i really focused more on the sound of the song then on the actual song itself. but then in the end, i sacrificed sound quality to try and achieve commercial metal levels. go figure, haha.

oh, and my musical influences are probably waaay too obvious on this song, i hope it's not a total rip off of some song that's already been made. i'm always afraid that every song i make sounds like something thats already out there...

Hey zedekiah,

I like the guitar tone you have happening there, nice and tight rhythm playing in the main riff. The snare could do with a little more upper-mids in my opinion, just to bring out a little more snappiness. Your drum playing is great as well zedekiah.
The vocals need to be bought a little forward in the mix to sit above the guitars.
Nice tunage, very Alice In Chains soughta in a round about way!

Nice Work zedekiah! :)

Hey zedekiah,

I like the guitar tone you have happening there, nice and tight rhythm playing in the main riff. The snare could do with a little more upper-mids in my opinion, just to bring out a little more snappiness. Your drum playing is great as well zedekiah.
The vocals need to be bought a little forward in the mix to sit above the guitars.
Nice tunage, very Alice In Chains soughta in a round about way!

Nice Work zedekiah! :)

thanks gorty. but i don't want my vocals to sit above the guitars!! then people might hear them! haha. i kinda like the background, washed out sorta sound of the vox on this song though. i could turn up the dry vox a little bit, maybe it would cut a little better. i have 2 vocal tracks, one with heavy, dirty compression, EQ, heavy chorus effect, and a little dealy. then one relatively dry with a little EQ and compression. theres a little automation bringing the effected track in and out in certain places too. but if i raise the dry vocal track, it could push it more forward, but i dunno if i really want that, :o:cool:

oh and the snare used to be snappy until i smashed the living shit out of the mix with mastering compressors/limiters! :D:D:D

the next song should have more conventional vocal sound to it, less FX, and a bit more raw. expect it in about a week or so. i'm trying to get these 4 or 5 songs i have in my head right now recorded ASAP before i forget em.

thanks gorty. but i don't want my vocals to sit above the guitars!! then people might hear them! haha. i kinda like the background, washed out sorta sound of the vox on this song though. i could turn up the dry vox a little bit, maybe it would cut a little better. i have 2 vocal tracks, one with heavy, dirty compression, EQ, heavy chorus effect, and a little dealy. then one relatively dry with a little EQ and compression. theres a little automation bringing the effected track in and out in certain places too. but if i raise the dry vocal track, it could push it more forward, but i dunno if i really want that, :o:cool:

oh and the snare used to be snappy until i smashed the living shit out of the mix with mastering compressors/limiters! :D:D:D

the next song should have more conventional vocal sound to it, less FX, and a bit more raw. expect it in about a week or so. i'm trying to get these 4 or 5 songs i have in my head right now recorded ASAP before i forget em.

Nice work all round zedekiah!

Where can I get one of these "dealy" effects? :D :D :D

That's fucking loud and full of spite. Killer guitar tone, such bite.

Not a big listener of metal these days, but I like the production.

Well done Zed, thanks for posting a link to it, you know where. I used to like this kind of music, but I must say you did a wonderful job. What plug-in was that dealy, plug again?

I'm going to have to agree with Gorty on this one, it's a really cool song but the vocals don't stand out enough. Your voice sounds good from what I can hear of it though, and I dig the screaming parts. I'm going to have to try the layering thing, mine always sound weak so I don't ever use them...;)

Good work on this!

Nice tune Zed!!!!! Very cools sounds. Guitar tone is excellent for this. Nice playing also. I love the muted stuff...great sound out of that. Good vocals also. I don't mind how they sit, but wouldn't mind hearing a mix with them a couple of Db louder.

How'd you track the guitars? They are hot man.....:cool:

Very cool! Sounds very nice. I think at the very least the verse vocals need top come up a bit. I would personally bring them all up. Guitar tone is very cool!

F.S.

That's fucking loud and full of spite. Killer guitar tone, such bite.

hey man that was a cool poem you just wrote, haha.

i'm surprised you guys like the guitar tone so much, you'd probably shoot me if i told you it was actually DI clean guitar straight into the firepod with a free amp model plugin, :o:D:cool: but yeah even i was surprised how it sounded in the end, i had to really eff with it a lot to get that tone though. it's 4 layers, with the front 2 guitars having 4 plugins each, and the rear two having 3. then there's also 3 plugins on the guitar group track also. so i really took some time to try and get it dialed in, mostly trying to get rid of as much of the digital sounding "fizz" as i could.

the delay plugin i used was the Kjaerhus Audio Classic Delay, which is free and it's really good.

and yeah, layering the screams is pretty much the only way to get em to sound more "metal", otherwise it'll be more like the punk rock yell, or even worse the wimpy little emo scream.

thanks dudes, i'm glad you liked the tune, i'm working on another one as we speak. i finally got some good inspiration so i'm trying to rapid-fire some cool songs out with a retro 90's NuMetal feel to them (i kinda miss that sound, haha).

Back