number of tracks in recording r&b song

geeq

How many tracks do you guys record for an R&B verse and chorus? Can you please specify what are each track for and what effects do you apply it with.. Can you also describe the panning technique regarding each section (chorus & verse)..

I thought it was 42.

but seriously, it totaly depends on the situation, so I'll say anywhere from 1-41

Use as many tracks as it takes to record the instruments and voices you are using. Use whatever effects on each track that makes the song sound like you want it to sound. For me - that's very little effects. Pan each track so that it sounds the way you want it to sound. Generally - bass, kick drum, snare, vocals, lead guitar....somewhere around the middle. Guitars, shakers, keyboards, anywhere you want them... depending on how you want the song to sound. Good luck

umm.. I was referring for the vocals only :)
What effects do you usually apply for each track.. I know it all depends, but base from your experiences..

umm ok.. but how many tracks do you guys usually record VOCAL tracks for r&b/pop songs? Chorus and Verses part.. how many tracks each parts? What effects do you guys apply? I just wanna know what you guys do..

For songs with one vocal, I use one track. If I add a second vocal for harmony, I use two tracks. If I have a lead and two part harmony, I use three tracks. If.........well I'm tired of that progression already. I usually track with some compression, but only use as much as it takes to settle the peaks down just a bit. When mixing, I use just a tiny bit of reverb, usually a "room" reverb or a "reverse" reverb - I love reverse reverb on some vocals. You can use a bit more reverb/pre-delay and compression on backup vocals than on the lead vocal to kinda put them behind the lead. I usually pan the lead vocal straight up in the middle with the backup vocals panned a little bit to the right or left around it, DEPENDING on how I want it to sound for that song. If you want your vocal to be huge, you can put some stereo chorus on it.. slow modulation, low depth, widen the stereo image to where you want it. A cross delay will do the same thing.. a delay with settings for right and left... set one side a little longer than the other... If you want different setting for chorus and verse, use whatever mixing automation that you have, if any, to change the settings at those points in the song.. or just man the faders, pan knobs etc. at playback. Of course, only you, through your own trial and error process, can determine what you want your stuff to sound like. Just spend about a thousand hours mixing up some vocals. Something will shake out to your liking by then. Hope some of this is what you were asking for. If not, I am a total failure and must hang myself.

Back