number of guitar trackz

ripingitar

..I was wondering what your preferences were as far as the amount of guitar tracks most of you record on a typical rock / heavy rock c tuned song ?
and whats you preference as far as panning / eq etc ?

My personal preference would be 4 tracks. 2 tracks panned really wide, and 2 more tracks with a different tone panned a little less. I'd rather use 2 different amps if possible for layering the sounds.

I like at least two rhythm guitar tracks, each recorded with different amps. One panned left 75%, one panned right 75% as a good place to start. You can double these or more if the guitarist is playing nice and tight with his previous tracks, but if he isn't, you can lose definition and get muddy real quick. This is all a personal preference thing, though. No right or wrong way, here.

metalhead28 said:
My personal preference would be 4 tracks. 2 tracks panned really wide, and 2 more tracks with a different tone panned a little less. I'd rather use 2 different amps if possible for layering the sounds.

What he said. You have to be somewhat tight to do it but when it works it sounds very nice.

Ditto...

Sometimes with distorted guitar, depending on the tune, I will record 2 clean guitars one panned left and one panned right, just playing the root notes of whatever the 4 distorted guitars are playing, with a tiny tiny bit of 'verb, and level it way low in the mix under thew other guitars. I find it seems to add a bit of depth width and general bigness to the sound.

This seems to work nice with simple big driving 'anthemic' (I shudder at that word for some reason now) riffs with lots of power chords. However it doesn't work to well with anything complex obviously....

2 usually, each panned hard. For a more in-you-face, pan them about 50-50.

Sometimes I make 4 tracks with 2 takes. Each take has 1 close mic and 1 ambient mic. Then those are panned wide, with the second take also panned wide, but panned opposite the first take. Did you understand that?....I didn't :D

SUMMARY:

>= 2 tracks, 4 being a popular choice.

If you can a good sound with 2, then power to ya. If it takes 4, it doesn't really matter. Paul Gilbert recorded a song with 100 different guitars. That's a bit excessive, but the point is that if it sounds good it doesn't matter. A good starting point is 2 tracks panned opposite each other for one guitar part.

Back