nu computer4me!

jaminjer

It's been years and I'm sooo confident that my brand new computer will be able to......record! I've been reading current troubles but these folks certainly have...old computers.

I'm about to buy a standard package (new)computer, dell, compact,etc (with wifey's approval!!) maybe a real starter at fry's to upgrade with a nice sound card, cd burner...

I'm curious,

1) What is the cheapest way to create a drum machine with step recording on the computer?

2)Is "aux out" on my p.a. (with r.c.a.s) the same as line out?

3)I have a cheap yamaha with some drum sounds and midis...

4)My wife's insisting on pentium & microsoft - I want basic multi-trak recording - what to reasonably buy in the way of software. (by the way I have a boss br8 with controllable headphone volume)

thanx
jeremy

pc still don't work unless you have all the time?

I suppose I need marriage counseling/forum to reason with my wife about a mac - heaven forbid a used one. The funny thing is she even wants dsl I think for resumes and job searching...

I'm thinking live jams over the internet...Is that a reality yet?

Nah... You don't need a mac. If you want to start a commercial studio, you'd have a reason for mac -compatibility with other protools systems-, but a modernday pc running XP is about just as stable as any mac I've worked with.

Uncle Roel said:
Nah... You don't need a mac. If you want to start a commercial studio, you'd have a reason for mac -compatibility with other protools systems-, but a modernday pc running XP is about just as stable as any mac I've worked with.

ditto... IBM does anything Mac does and offers way more software...

goto fry's?

So I guess that's it. I'll go to fry's and get some 700 dollar compact/dell and "upgrade" with a nicer sound card and cd burner.

sounds simple enough, thanx for the help y'all.

jaminjer said:
I'm about to buy a standard package (new)computer, dell, compact,etc (with wifey's approval!!) maybe a real starter at fry's to upgrade with a nice sound card, cd burner....

If you are buying a standard package, then you need to be aware that this package will include proprietary software, which means that your system will be fully loaded with crap you will probably never need. While this won't necessarily slow you down (depending on what you do with your audio) it can complicate things. The pc I use for recording is dedicated specifically to audio. It was custom made without all the extra foo foo that a retail pc comes with, and it STILL locks up on occasion. Multiply that by five and that will be the absolute minimum frequency of lock ups and reboots you should prepare yourself to face. Oh, and it takes FOREVER for retail pc's to reboot, what with the seven thousand things loading up at startup.

Also, make sure that the case of the computer is the largest available. Why? Because double jointed dwarfs put together the pc's you see at retail stores. The maze of components is so rediculous that you risk serious wrist and hand injury trying to get around inside these things. And there will come a time when you decide to install hardware, because it is so easy to do yourself.

jaminjer said:
2)Is "aux out" on my p.a. (with r.c.a.s) the same as line out?

Yes. The "aux out" sends a line signal, generally for processing, but can be used as a line out for components.

jaminjer said:
4)My wife's insisting on pentium & microsoft - I want basic multi-trak recording - what to reasonably buy in the way of software. (by the way I have a boss br8 with controllable headphone volume)

The answer to your question depends on your ultimate recording goals. High sound quality comes at a high price. However, the better soundcards suited for multi-track audio often come with decent software, ultimately saving you cash and headaches.

Cheaper soundcards won't come with software, and if you just need basic software to fool around with, download the free demo of N-track at www.fasoft.com. It has a decent manual for beginners as well. The cost of the software is only $45, and you definately get decent bang for the buck in that regard

Cy

sound blaster?

How about soundblaster platinum pro zs????

Sounds like the software is for mp3s, movie, and game manipulation yet not so heavy on the actual music making.
Is there a better sound card with software that has the step recording and maybe some sounds to control?

Looks like I'll use a computer guy that my step dad has worked with to get it custom and he'll be there to talk to wifey.

Re: sound blaster?

jaminjer said:
How about soundblaster platinum pro zs????

Sounds like the software is for mp3s, movie, and game manipulation yet not so heavy on the actual music making.
Is there a better sound card with software that has the step recording and maybe some sounds to control?

Looks like I'll use a computer guy that my step dad has worked with to get it custom and he'll be there to talk to wifey.
I hate to keep knocking your post but I would'nt buy a soundcraper for nothing more than...once again...FUN !
Get a quality low end pro card...perhaps an audiophile 2496 or delta 44, 66...depending on your budget.

options

Right...I just found all the sound cards at zsounds (or whatever) connected to homerecording.com - and uh - I'm now thinking of retreating to a used pro keyboard with a cd burner and vhs tutorial.

I can just see wifey chastising my lack of production.

But those phantom live internet jams...

any1 zoomin?

Sorry that I may not join the pc time pit but does anyone know about the zoom mrs 1266cd. It's got a cd writer, effects, and a built in drum machine with individual sounds, but, does anyone know if the drum machine does step recording???

Back