nTrack flaking out on new machine

mjhigg

I been using nTrack for years on a crappy Win98SE machine. I finally got sick of it (Win98 that is), and built a new machine. 2.6GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Echo Mia soundcard, WinXP. Verrry nice. Except now nTrack is acting quite wacky, crashing and what-not. I can't use the "Live" mode to play guitar through some of my plug-ins like I was so looking forward to. Same with VSTi. I can't console it!

I also run FLStudio on the same computer with no issues whatsoever. What a shame. I don't know where to begin.

Anyone had similar issues with newer machines?

I had a similar problem. I went from running around 60-99% cpu, down to 10-30% . First off, turn off all of the xp pretties. Disable Antivirus and firewalls if you are not online. Disable messenger, the list goes on...

Do a search for XP tweaks, there is a plethora of info out there...

If you have no luck, let me know and I will try to dredge up the info... I don't immediately have access to it, but I can find it shortly...

The biggest tool IMO, that I've found, is disabling unneccessary services. Is your puter standalone? If so, there are all kinds of networking services running unneccessarily and sucking up resources...

Good luck

N shouldn't be crashing. I run it on XP and have no stability issues. Usually, the first thing i think of when stability is mentioned is that the install didn't go well. You might try unInstalling N.. running RegClean.. rebooting.. deleting the n-Track Studio folder (or renaming it).. reInstalling.

If that doesn't solve it, I'd suspect the install program inself. You might try DLing it again.

CD is talking about tweaks that should help performance. Check out http://www.musicxp.net for tweaks and tips.

hope this helps.

tj

That would probably be a better place to start, instead of trial and erroring like I did with services/etc..

BTW, where can you get "regclean"? Is it a freebee?

Sure thing, CD. RegClean is a free, Microsoft util that searches for orphaned/corrupted registry entries and attempts to repair them. It creates an Undo in case something goes wrong, but I've never had it do anything other than fix my problem.

I'd recommend it anytime an Uninstall is done.

RegClean

tj

Why, thank you!

I've been slacking this week, damned cold (the virus kind) keeping me down.

I'll have to download that when I get home though...

Try this site for XP tweaks. www.blackviper.com
This guys went through all the services in XP and through trial and error found out what you could disable. I did what he said and my machine is running so much faster and better. There are a lot of things on XP that you simply do not need.

Well I just noticed that Progger said the same thing I did. I'll second it. You can't go wrong with black viper.

Did you go the "safe" route with the Blackviper settings?

What is a "legacy" controller something or other anyways? I never could nail that down...

There were a couple of other things in there, such as system restore that I kept on, If you disable Sys. Res. under systems, can you still manually create restore points or does it disable the entire functionality of the System Restore?

BTW, I'm sure everyone else already knows, but I noticed that you can delete past System restore points and only keep the latest point under "disc cleanup".

Thanks for the tips all! May seem like overkill, but it is important enough to me that I just yesterday:

1 Put a fresh install of XP on the hard drive

2 Tweaked away to optimize performance based on the recommendations on musicxp.net, and this helpful doc from Tascam

3 Installed only my audio drivers, and basic audio progs, including nTrack, FLStudio, and my plugins.

The results, ladies and gents.... XP looks a little uglier. And nTrack is still crashing when I try to use LIVE mode to play VST instruments. (Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghh!) I'm beginning to think that N and my Echo Mia's ASIO drivers aren't playing nice!

Last edited:
mjhigg said:

The results, ladies and gents.... XP looks a little uglier. And nTrack is still crashing when I try to use LIVE mode to play VST instruments. (Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghh!) I'm beginning to think that N and my Echo Mia's ASIO drivers aren't playing nice!

Have you asked this on the n-track forum on the fasoft site? This is a good forum, but it wouldn't hurt to check on there also.
www.fasoft.com then go to the forum, register, and tell them what is going on.

cellardweller said:
Did you go the "safe" route with the Blackviper settings?

What is a "legacy" controller something or other anyways? I never could nail that down...

There were a couple of other things in there, such as system restore that I kept on, If you disable Sys. Res. under systems, can you still manually create restore points or does it disable the entire functionality of the System Restore?

BTW, I'm sure everyone else already knows, but I noticed that you can delete past System restore points and only keep the latest point under "disc cleanup".

I have no idea what the "legacy contoller" is either. I did the "safe" settings. I also disabled system restore. I can't remember exactly what he said about it, but I think he commented further about it either on his website or www.thescreensavers.com
Do a search on the above mentioned site for blackviper.

Back