NTK Sizzle Shizzle

Sporkmyband

Hey guys/gals,
I am using an NTK through a Vintech x73i. I am the most sibilant human being on the face of the earth. No, really. I have good technique, but I am always a bit sibilant no matter what. I do alot of falsetto stuff, and my voice is pretty loud when not doing falsetto. I want a mic that has some nice air to it when I do my whispery vox, which I do most of the time. I am having to de-ess the shizzle out of the sizzle to make it go away. I don't like the ordeal I have to go through to get the vocal to sit and not sound like shit. Would a Blue Dragonfly with the same pre help, or must I save up for something like a Soundelux U195. Or is a K2 the direction I need to go. What about the AT4047, still gonna be REALLY sibilant on me? Please reply. I am looking at lots of auctions. TIME IS CRUCIAL..LOL :)

How is it that people can't get a good sound from a NTK? Through Focusrite preamps there is no problem whatsoever.

I wonder if there's a bad batch of tubes out there in a NTK consignment ???

There isn't a lot of difference between my AT4033 and my NTK.

I sympathize with you, but don't know what to suggest.

You can always return the mic to Rode for repair if you suspect it is damaged. They will fix it free for you (not widely known).

4047 too dark

I keep reading that the 4047 is dark. Does that mean dull? Or does it mean, not chinesely high end hyped? Will a Soundelux U195 knock the 4047 on its face and murder the NTK?

Sporkmyband said:
I keep reading that the 4047 is dark. Does that mean dull? Or does it mean, not chinesely high end hyped? Will a Soundelux U195 knock the 4047 on its face and murder the NTK?

Yes the U195 will kick both of those mics in the teeth. I have a U195 and it used to be my go to vocal mic. I now use an SE H3500 first then the U195 if the SE doesn't work. The SE works best on me for vox but that certainly doesn't mean it will work best for everyone. I don't think that mic has been or ever will be made. You really need to go try out the mics and let your ears tell you which one is best for you. Maybe call around some of the local studio's to see which studio has the most mics you are considering. Then book an hour or two of you singing through all of the mics they have and then burn the session to a CD so you can listen for a few days. If possible take whatever mic pre you are using in your studio to use for the session or ask if the studio has that pre already. After you have done all of the above you then can make a reasonable decision on which mic is best for you. Good luck.

Before the age of de-essers, there was a mic design that pretty much took care of the sibilance problem: The ribbon.

Hey, Spork, are you using a pop screen and are you staying the proper distance from the mic, 8~12"? Took me a while to figure out that was important.

Ntk

I don't know if you already do this or not but when I use the NTK on our singer who is also very silibant, I make sure that the mic is above the bridge of his nose and slightly tilted down then make sure that he sings strait passed the mic, not into it. This cuts down on the harshness for me. Singing directly into the mic can make it harsh.

Hope this helps

At4047

Any of you all with NTK experience, also experienced the AT4047? Was it good for you? I have been trying all kinds of positions with the NTK. When I move it to get the esses better, I also take away the good sounds the NTK has to offer. As far as ribbons go I have an RCA 77D or dx whatever, anyway, I think the ribbon needs to be replaced because when singing in the back of the mic, it distorts. Anyway, my point, I do have one, is how can you ever get enough highs for a modern vocal sound out of a ribbon mic like that.

Craigory said:
I don't know if you already do this or not but when I use the NTK on our singer who is also very silibant, I make sure that the mic is above the bridge of his nose and slightly tilted down then make sure that he sings strait passed the mic, not into it. This cuts down on the harshness for me. Singing directly into the mic can make it harsh.

Hope this helps

Very good point. Good technique really helps. I would think with that Vintech the NTK should sound like a $million$.

Um......... why would you sing into the BACK of a ribbon mic???

I knew they're F-8, just wondering why you would sing into the back.

Duets maybe???

I recorded my last CD with a Rode NT1 and cannot even listen to it now. It's just sort of tinny-sounding.

My favorite mic of all is the Audio Technica 4047sv. It's not dull at all! It's thick and pleasing. It has great high freq response without ever bringing out sibilance. Sounds killer on acoustic guitars, too. I use a GT Brick and FMR RNP, and it sounds like two completely different, killer mics through them.

That sE H3500 is a mighty mic, too.

Sporkmyband said:
I am using an NTK through a Vintech x73i. I am the most sibilant human being on the face of the earth.

Stay far away from the Rode mics if you're at all sibilant. That's just a horrible match. Can't think of anything worse.

My first recommendation would be an Electrovoice RE-20. Have never had a single problem with it on sibilant vocalists. If you're one of those guys who has to have a LDC for whatever reason, then the 4047 certainly isn't bad -- I can think of worse. You'd probably really like the Shure KSM-32, though. Probably one of the best condensers I can think of for taming sibilance.

Mountainmirrors said:
"If you're one of those guys who has to have a LDC for whatever reason..."

Some people have to use LDCs for vocals, and can't imagine using anything that's not an LDC. So I'll tend to offer an alternative suggestion specifically for people who fall under that classification -- just in case the person asking the question is one of them.

And if I happen to see a post where someone complains of sibilance, and they've mentioned like 5 different LDC's in their post ... I start having suspicions. :D

Put a pencil on the mic grill (vertically), directly in front of the center of the capsule. Use a rubber band to hold the pencil in place. That should solve the problem.

Last edited:
Back