ntk mic positioning

70sbaby

I just bought an rode ntk and I'm wondering what's the best postion to record vocals. It seems like if I sing directly in to the capsule it has a harsh sound. Should I record my voice off axis to get better sound with this particular mic. Also how can I tame down the brightness. I am running it through a mackie mixer wit xdr preamps. I'm thinking maybe I need a dirtier preamp to make the sound thicker. What do u guys think

Set the mic slightly above the end of your nose about 6-9 inches out. Use a pop filter. All the harshness goes away and you are left with a nice warm and detailed result.

The Mackie will not do the mic justice.

Of the two I would put money on the digi preamps (focusrite) matching better to the NTK. The RNP might be a little brittle on the high end but have a rounder low end. As a result, you might need to push the mic back a little to avoid harshness when using the RNP. Either one is a better match than the Mackie, my 2 cents.

This is all based on my experience with Focusrite preamps and the NTK. I think that I had already sold my RNP prior to getting the NTK so I can't remember if I ever matched them up. I do remember that the RNP had a very clear high end and a sligthly warm mid and lo end.

Maybe someone else has an RNP running into the NTK and they can speak up on its merits.

I use the Focusrite VMP with the NTK and it sounds great. Thats the one with the chinese pots. I don't know which pots the digi has but I think either pre would sound good.

Big Kenny said:
I use the Focusrite VMP with the NTK and it sounds great. Thats the one with the chinese pots. I don't know which pots the digi has but I think either pre would sound good.

What do you mean by chinese pots?

Potentiometers, or pots are the controls that increase or decrease the gain on a pre amp or anything for that matter. Anytime you "turn it up" or "turn it down" you use a pot. I have had my pots changed twice, both times at the expense of Focusrite. They have been going strong for almost a year now with no noise or sign of the problem. May have fixed it, might be luck

70's - I just posted a song where I recorded our female singer thro' an NTK and it came out very harsh. Wish I'd known about Middleman's advice first! I used a Focusrite pre (Trakmaster).

The other thing is the room you're recording in because it picks so much up.

I used my NTK with an RNP for a while. I found that it could get a little harsh on me if I didn't watch the placement really closely. I've got the NTK on a Sytek now and it seems smoother.

Ok, here are some tips for NTK vocals on a VMP or TT from focusrite. I have marked the settings in green. If there is no green dot, don't activate that feature. You may have to blow this up to see it better, this is as large as I can get it. The neat thing about these units is that you can order the chain of effects. In this instance the chain setup is Preamp to Vintage Harmonics (for those tube harmonic sounds) to EQ, then the Opto Compressor and finally Tube Saturation. The De-esser is not required for the NTK if you keep it above the mouth. The expander is virtually worthless in that it has a grainy response. Good for maybe drums to block out room noise, worthless on vocals. These settings are for a male vocal, ballad thingy or maybe easy rock tune.

Attachments

• VMpro settings2.jpg
    VMpro settings2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Here is my setup for vocals. Captures the voice like a booth and the off axis room noise is almost eliminated. You just need one corner of your room. Put the corner to the vocalists back and voila, instant booth type sound. The jagged thingees are foam panels. The one in front of the vocalist is a moveable panel.

Attachments

• Vocal booth.jpg
    Vocal booth.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
You know guys, the more I experiment with this mic the better the sound gets. Thanks for the tips about using the digi 002 pres vs mackies. it sounds much better. Also it sounds much better not singing directly into capsule but slighty below

Warhead - could you elaborate? I mean, my singer can only operate at a certain volume for a specific sound - do I get her to stand closer? Sorry if that's a stupid question, would just like to hear more.

Garry

Back