NT1a to V69! WOW!

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
I've been recording some of my original songs lately, and I had been looking for a decent upgrade from my NT1a. The NT1a is still useful, but for my voice it's way to thin and hissy.

I knew I wanted something that would help thicken my vocals, yet keep them fairly clear and defined. (not your average budget chinese-made condenser)

Anyhow, I was looking at high-end dynamic mics and a few ribbon and tube LDCs.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a used MXL V69 Mogami Edition. This mic wasn't at the top of my list, but it was a good deal nonetheless.

I'd heard some clips of this mic in action, plus I liked the idea that I could change the tube out, and mold the sound more.

I got it, hooked it up and couldn't be happier. I'm not one to brag on MXL, but I'm suprised to say the least. I'll be changing out the tube for a Telefunken clone of some kind, to lower the noise level and make it a bit more musical.

This tube mic is nearly EXACTLY what I was looking for. I really helped to thicken my voice and capture the mid and low end that can be pretty.....well, not there. Not harsh in the highs at all, which is a relief, after tracking with other cheap LDCs.

Just thought I'd share my experience. ;)

Yeah, i dig my V69ME as well! Up there as one of the best bang4buck.
Stack vocals on it...nice and fat and i haven't even changed the
tube.

Hey jake thats cool. Whatever you can do, even if it means just talking about what you did today like a podcast would help. Please let me know your setup. Could you email me your A-B test against the 990 or post it in here?

Would you guys consider the V69 to sound simliar to a Rode NTK? Would a V69 mic fit a deep-voiced artist like myself?

qb2k5 said:
Would a V69 mic fit a deep-voiced artist like myself?

My first thought would be no. I have a pretty thin high voice and the V69 actually thickens and warms it up. It not really pronounced in the high-end (like a cheapo LDC), and could easily make a lower singer too bassy. Then again, one would have to hear the voice.

jaykeMURD said:
P.S.

I am now officially in love and obsessed with tubes. :)

Do not, I repeat DO NOT start tinkering with old tube radios!!! :D

"Some guy I know" made the mistake of restoring a 1931 Philco radio about fifteen years ago, and now I - I mean "that guy" has Philco table radios from every year they were built with tubes, starting in 1911 and ending in the 50's... NOTHING sounds a good as early rock through a vintage tube table radio! ;)

Last edited:
I want to upgrade the tube but it already sounds great. Just lazy. :)
Modding mics and mic-pres are the way to go...
Just another opinion, i've had my V69ME up against an NTK.
No contest...i don't like the NTK. Sounds nasally in comparison.

Back