Now one of my own

Torpid-x

Well since I started a nowhere radio account, I thought I'd upload a song thats actually my style too. The mix is rough and both guitars have to be re-tracked.

I'm looking for opinions on the overall sound, both mix-wise and musically, I know the crash sound is a bit harsh. Try to ignore the "chocky" sounds (you'll hear what I mean), they're stuck in the guitar tracks.

Victim of Death
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1586&alid=-1

>dig in<
Torp

hey dude,

I can appreciate the fact that this is a metal song. :)

There are some problems with the sound IMOP....... it sounds like there are very little mids and only the cymbals have any highs. The drums also seem to maybe be a bit too loud. The song is decent but I dont like the drums...too many rolls..I dont like the sound of the drums for some reason...someone else may like them though... Pretty cool over all and there are a few nice guitar runs..

later
sam
(B.Sabbath)

Thanks for the listen, I think you scared everyone away marking it as a metal song!!! it's not hardcore or anything

yeah, I like my snare busy, that particular one IS a little bit papery sounding, this is far from the final mix. one of the kicks is pretty much punchless also. (there's also no toms in it yet shhh its a secret )

The guitars are somewhat buried, but I mentioned that the tracking wasn't that good, when I redo them I should be able to bring them out a little bit more. These takes were mainly just a reference for programming the drums and bass. This is a premature mix. I was hoping for some more negative comments to get me motivated to finish it, well all but the vocals - I don't have a mic, and I don't know if I could break in the old pipes again to record a vocal track on this.

Speaking of vocals, the song does have lyrics. They change the whole perspective of the song, the drum/Guitar fills fit nicely in-between and the interlude before the solo (lotsa snare there) make a musical statement to follow the verse.

I wouldn't mind some advice on how to bring the mids out, using the same sounds used (kick snare crash hat bass and guitars). The final mix will have a lighter bass sound.

sorry for the delay on replying, I promised myself I wouldn't look at this thread untill it had at least 3 replies, but It wasn't happening.

Torp

p.s. I listened to a couple of your songs. had nothing I could add to the replies, nice sound - needs drums :) :D

The drums kinda hide the guitar's which have a nice tone, but are way too quiet. The snare is overpowering the rest of the kit. Also, the bass guitar is rather boomy. Try reducing some 200hz frequencies from the bass. At least I've noticed it could be the right frequency. Don't take my word for it, though. I'm still a beginner on hearing which frequency is which :D

This song really needs the vocals you mentioned on your website. The drumming really doesn't have a steady beat, and sounds like it's mostly all fills until the solo guitar kicks in. And that's when the song strenghtens. The song sounds pretty generic heavy metal, and the vocals really could make it into something bigger. But do something about the drums first. You may have some potential in the song. The solo reminded me slightly of some Marty Friedman stuff in one part, which I think is a compliment.

Torpid-x said:

p.s. I listened to a couple of your songs. had nothing I could add to the replies, nice sound - needs drums :) :D

You must have listened to the 'Erland collaboration.' That is not my norm..if you check out some of the other tunes you will find distorted guitar and, dare I say 'metal' overtones..:)

check out Cranky One's tunes also... there you will find metal..:)

later
sam (B.Sabbath)

Ha ha. Nice thread. BTW, I'm no stranger to a little gain myself.

The song has got potential IMHO. I would basically echo the comments these guys have given, except that when you do remix it, start it over without the reverb. When you have the levels you're seeking, take out your bag of reverb and stir it in...SLOWLY. Your freq's and levels will be much easier to deal with that way. Just my opinion. I'm surely no pro.

The outro reminded me of stuff off like Diary of a Madman or Blizzard of Oz. I became a huge Randy Rhoads fan about 6 years after he died.

I just listened again. The general sound and feel of the song reminds me of that stuff, actually. Very cool.

Samicide - Now that I look at the way I said that, It looks like an insult, what I meant was all I could add to the thread is another pat on the back, very good- which others should I listen to- What the hell, I'll check them all out.

CrankyOne - I already listened to your songs, you get great drum sound, I mentioned that in your thread. I'm jealous and hate you J/K. As far as the rest of the kit, there is none, that's it, kick and snare. the style is compositional, not groove based, so yes it does lack a steady beat. There are a couple of holes where toms will go, in some of the fills. The bass will be toned down (er up) a bit. thanks for the input.

Yessir SLuiCe - Heavy Randy influence, actually what inspired the outro is the outro to Scorpions - Lady Starlight. I didn't mention that I wrote this song almost ten years ago. I'll give your suggestion a try, I did add my reverb listening to the tracks solo'd with a little tweak here and there with the full mix. Thanks

Still need some advise on those mids. how can I get them without loosing guitar tone. My sound forge spectrum analysis tells me my guitar lives in the 300hz range.

No I didnt take it as an insult..:D

I was just saying that I will probably 'die with my boots on' as well..:D

later
sam

this mix sounds like it got run thru a graphic equalizer with the happy face curve on it...but the highs got pushed back down too.
It also sounds like you're out in the lobby of the auditorium too....
This stuff, imo, needs to be much more in your face, less verb, and more upfront guitars. The drums, playing wise, are ok to me...not too busy, but need to be put in their place. Possibly your monitors are not giving you enough decent accuracy to notice these things. Slip on some headphones too...and you'll hear the same problems. I'd also make the bass guitar a bit more distinct too, and avoid the boominess it's contributing. Nice solo at the end....nothing earth shattering, but you have some moments in there you should be happy with.

Jeeze, you can actually hear my friend the smiley faced EQ :) I don't have "Moniters" per say, but I do have decent cans.

This is not meant to be a headphone mix. there's supposed to be a wide stereo interaction between the guitar parts, when I listen through phones, it doesn't work (not that it works right in this mix). it's overall sound is supposed to be different than what you might expect by listening to the song structure.

the bass is going to be a problem for me, it's not a guitar, it's a midi program, I might play it on guitar and detune it in sound forge. I tried a couple test bars and it was a little better but you could hear the frets, I actually wrote it on a real and fretless bass. because of the sound, there's a missing bass solo.

Thanks for listening, now off to listen to Sabaths other songs.

Just a message to Sam, Wow, fucking WOW, Your songs are great, now get a lawyer and promoter, you have no reason to waste your time listening to my crap.

Back