now, i'm convinced... i'm a sh*t head (looping)

crosstudio

i've been working on a tune, and had this new synth line in my head for it. i head down to the bassment to record it. i connect the laptop to the tascam fw-1884 via firewire. the 1884 has my drum maching and sound canvas (xv-3080) connected to its midi output ports.

for some reason, the midi won't play.

i'm checking cables, i'm turning the 1884 and the laptop off/on, i'm checking the cables between the 1884 and the external gear.

turns out I had the LOOP feature turned on with the start and stop points both set to 1:01:00. Cakewalk should pop up a modal dialog box when the start/end points are the same to keep dumb*sses like me from wasting time when they have a creative moment.

i get frustrated when i stop the playback or the recording and it goes all the way back to the beginning. i know theres something in there to stop it but i'm usually so into what I'm doing that i just move the cursor back to where it should be. thats also frustrating when trying to over dub. but of course, i dont use the punch section either so i know i'm a dumb*ss

distortedrumble said:
i get frustrated when i stop the playback or the recording and it goes all the way back to the beginning. i know theres something in there to stop it but i'm usually so into what I'm doing that i just move the cursor back to where it should be. thats also frustrating when trying to over dub. but of course, i dont use the punch section either so i know i'm a dumb*ss
Options > Global

Uncheck "On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker."

In Sonar2, you've got to click the right-most button on the loop control (the one with 1 right-arrow and 2 left-arrows).

then unselect the "Rewind to Start Time on Stop" checkbox.

Man - this needs an entirely new thread of its own... "What's the stupidest damn thing you have done with Sonar?"

I swear to God, if I could charge for all the time I have wasted chasing my own arse in Sonar, I would be able to retire and record full time... Well not really, but you get the idea...

Mr C.Studio - I hear ya - I have done the exact same thing myself, (just not with as sexy hardware ;)); just remember tomorrow is a new day and a whole new opportunity to make a dick of yourself in front of your clients.

C'est la vie!

;) Q.

Back