Now here's one for the puzzle solvers

Bobsleigh

I need some help with my no-budget, newbie home studio...

When using MIDI to toy around with non-VST soft synth such as Sim Synth, Reality, etc., is there any way to record the output as .wav files in a sequencer? Specifically, I'm using SF Acid (yeah yeah, audio freaks, i know) and a SB Live soundcard (I SAID I know).

What i wanna do is push record in ACID, play synths and see them magically appear as a new track. Can it be done??? Using emulated in/outputs for example?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheerfully, Bob.

Use a direct cable from your soundcards line out to the soundcards line in.

This means that when you press 'record' in ACID, it's going to get the signal directly from the computer - so you'll be recording what you would normally be hearing through your computer speakers. Which, in this case, is the synth sound.

It's just a thought - but it seems like it should work.

Good luck.

I don't believe you can do this, since the SB Live does not have multiclient drivers (drivers that allow more than one application to use them at a given time) to my knowledge.

The direct cable won't work. I get the general idea, but the problem is, the line out won't just give me the synth sounds, but everything else on top!

I'd re-record all the backing tracks plus the synth on, and I'd really like to have the synth in a separate track.

Nice thought, though.

As for the drivers, any standalone soft synth works just fine next to ACID, using Live. On a relatively poweful PC, that is.

- Bob

Back