"Now here's a little story, I'd like to tell..."

faithful

Just thought I'd share a story that reenforces why you cannot rely on computer speakers or even decent headphones for critical monitoring/mixing.

I do voice overs for a little extra cash. About a month ago, I was looking to buy a U195 again after I had sold my last one about eight months ago (to by good monitors). So I dug up an audio file of a voice over audition I had done with my old U195. This audition was done in my living room and I monitored the entire process on my AKG 240DF headphones. So I put the CD in and took a listen with my current studio setup which now includes a properly treated and dedicated studio space and NHTPro A-20 monitors and I was absolutely horrified with what I heard. There was so much background noise from the computer and air conditioner as well as bad room influence that it completely dominated the track. Yes the vocal was louder than the noise but the noise was so loud and so obvious that I couldn't believe it. I was thinking "I actually sent this crap to a producer?" I just couldn't understand how I could have missed this so I took the track to the family computer and took a listen. It was night and day. The noise was barely noticeable. You could hear it but really only because I was listening for it. Under normal, casual circumstances I wouldn't have thought twice about it. So I brought my wife down to listen to the difference and she actually thought they were different tracks.

This same story could also be used to show the importance of a good, treated room as well because I went back and listened to some of my recent reads done in my new setup and they were dead quiet. But we already knew room acoustics were a critical issue ... DIDN"T WE?!!

Long story short. Don't cut corners on your monitoring setup (Yes, that includes the room). You will thank yourself in the long run.

Jason A.

What you described has been preached by our highly talented and valuable folks on this bbs. Great advice that we all should heed.

rpe

Yeah, I had always heard people say that and I had eventually followed their advise and trusted their experiences but this was the first time I had my own real life lesson on the subject.

Just thought I'd share. I hope others can learn from my mistake. Good thing I didn't make that mistake for long.

Jason A.

Back