Now for a complete redo on my studio. New console forces makeover.

mdainsd

I wonder (out loud) how many get their studio up and running only to tear it down and start again. I'd like to think that I put in my due diligence in researching what I wanted to accomplish and how to approach it in a systematic way. But, the best laid plans of mice and men......

I managed to get two full tapes of tracks of my projects before I decided to go another route.

The item that came up as the weak link in my plan was the console(s). Due to price constraints (I know, not the best criteria) I went with Mackie, using a 32X8 with a 24X8 extension. I dont know if it was just my units, but I have nothing but trouble with the switches in these things. That and I really, really did not like the sound of the EQ, harsh and non-musical come to mind.

So I decided Id research some more and make some changes. I stayed on the hunt for six months checking out my options. I located a candidate console out of a studio here in SoCal. A middle man had it, and advertised it as non-working. I like these because I can get a lot more bang for my buck, and I like working on things. I arranged the trip up to Studio City to survey the board. True to his word, the board was in-op. Turning it on caused every single indicator to illuminate, and nothing worked. OK, at least I know what Im dealing with. We struck a deal after some negotiations and hauled it home. Once in the house (no mean feat) I started with the P/S. Power is where I always start troubleshooting, that was drilled into me many years ago in school. Checked the unloaded supply for outputs and everything was about 2/3s of what it should be. Easy enough, step two, check the mains strapping. And of course there you go, despite still having a 120V plug on it the mains were strapped for 220V. Pull the little square out of the mains connector, turn it 180 degrees and presto-whamo voltages all correct. Hooked up the console fired it up and things behaving much much better. Been working my way through it a strip at a time.So far (knock on wood) the only problem and it is a recurring problem is return jacks for input or group modules. This unit was used in a smoking environment sometime in its life, since it was in a studio I assume a permanent installation. So all the sends and returns were populated with cabling running to a patchbay. the returns have the normal switching contacts on them and with no plugs in the returns the strips were dead until taking each one out and burnishing the contacts on those jacks. While I was at it I treated each strip to a nice ultra-sonic bath to remove the nicotine/tar grunge. I want it all gone through and down to zero issues before I tear down what I have and start replacing.

Any of you guys go through this? Or is it me just not knowing what I was doing LOL...

A DDA Q2 48. I know they are generally thought of as FOH, but this one was used in a recording studio and its features/routing really fit in with what Im trying to do.

Everything (other than the mic ins) in or out is balanced and +4. Transformer coupled inputs. No more dicking around with that tip is send, ring is return crap. Yes I have to redo some of my patchbays, (this will be the third time for that :-( ) but this makes far more sense to me. I like the individually selectable phantom power, no more "groups". Phase reverse on all inputs, so much easier than special patch cords. Sweepable High pass and low pass, switchable Q on the upper and lower mids (going to mod that to continuously adjustable). Love the level control on each channel for the direct outs. The matrix lets me set up 4 custom stereo musicians mixes (which is exactly what I need for my current band), plus I could do 4 more custom stereo mixes using the f/b and aux feeds. Group mutes, nice. Its fitted with flying faders, but Im not going to use them. LOVE the sound of the EQs. Add in some stereo returns (in addition to the 2trk rtn) for buffers to my rack gear and I think I am right where I want to be. And the build quality is great. With the better part of 2000 LEDs, not a single one is out or weird. Out of a similar number of switches I have only identified one that gives some trouble.

Good buy there buddy. I hope it works out for you.
I've redone my patchbays so many times i've lost count. Up till 3 am scratching my head wondering why did i start this. especially since i made a new desk last year and completely rehashed the studio.

I've redone my patchbays so many times i've lost count. Up till 3 am scratching my head wondering why did i start this. especially since i made a new desk last year and completely rehashed the studio.

Aha! Im not the only one, LOL. Misery loves company.....

I've redone my patchbays so many times i've lost count. Up till 3 am scratching my head wondering why did i start this.

I think the best one was when I swapped the 20-channel mixer out. Part of the wiring was so spaced out when I reconnected that I simply could not understand what it was doing and removed it. A few months later I realised it was branching the timecode off so that I could loop it through my digital safety recorder. It uses TRS insert leads so it can tap into the mixer, but the timecode didn't go into the mixer so I came up with some convoluted way of splitting it into RCAs which went off hither and thither.

Nearly at the end of re-commissioning the board. Most issues were cleared by cleaning the contacts that do the switching function in the channel returns. Down to two input strips with issues. One has overall low level, will need to apply the scope to that one and one that has a broken pot shaft in the Eq. So moved those two to the far right of the board and tagged their issues. Only thing now is the midi-mute and mute groups. One input module not responding to one mute group, same with two group modules. I'll pull those this weekend and investigate (my bet is on dirty Alps switches). If I clear those then I am comfortable to tear out my existing console(s) and get this one in the control room. Fingers are crossed.

My studio has been through several upgrades/overhauls in the last 10 years.
Sometimes it's the little changes that end up being the biggest PITA. :(

Just last month I finally decided to put the MX-80 I acquired last March into its designated resting place....it had been sitting off to the side of my mix area, and it needed to be moved into a more "permanent" spot, but I knew wherever it went, some reconfiguration was going to be necessary.

What I thought was going to take me 3-4 days....ended up taking 2 weeks over the holidays. I had 3 weeks off, so while I initially planned to spend a few days reconfiguring and the rest of my time recording...it pretty much all went into the reconfiguring. I had to tie in a few other pieces of gear into the my existing racks...had to also pull a couple of patchbays and re-solder some things to make it right with the new additions...had to change some of the desk/rack furniture around, and even build a few items to custom fit....so it was not a simple plug-n-play operation.

AFA my console...I've considered upgrades from the TASCAM 3500 a bunch of times, just want something with a more refined EQ section and Aux processing, since I mix OTB regardless if I'm playing back from the tape decks or my DAW...and I almost went for a few consoles I liked, but I have to say that the thought of reconfiguring for a new console is even more daunting than what I did over the holidays, and I know it will take some serious effort.
Right off the bat...my desk/rack furniture was custom built for the 3500...so if the "new" console is even a few inches wider...I got a serious construction project on my hands before I even get to the electronics.
That said....I keep looking and if I find the right console one day that would actually be an *upgrade* to the 3500....I'll probably bite the bullet and do it.

I really hate killing a few weeks on that kind of stuff when all I want to do is just record.....but sometimes it has to be done. Once I get into the reconfiguration process, I don't really mind it so much, it's just that I'm eager to get it done so I can enjoy the benefit of the reconfiguration. I love how my MX-80 studio reconfiguration worked out....BIG improvement to the studio both gear-wise and what it forced me to change layout-wise with the furniture/racks....so in the end it was worth the effort. :)

*sigh

Yes, that was kind of my original question. How many people get their studio "done" and then stick with it. I dont mind all the wiring/tinkering/fixing/reconfiguring, but I too would rather be Practicing/playing with band mates/recording/mixing.

I hope to not do a console swapout again as it is like heart surgery to ones studio. I think Im there, got a brit console with a sound I like alot. But what happens when that dream console (insert name and model number here____________) comes along? And at a price you cant refuse. Arggg!!!!!

Yeah...it's an evolving thing....having a studio.

Sure, you can get to a point where the "heart" of your studio remains set for a long time, but it seems like there's always *something* more to do/add/fix/improve...at least that's the way it's been for me. :D

Like...I had to recongfugre how my guitars were hung...'cuz I got two new ones, and needed to adjust a few others to fit them in.
It's not a bad problem to have....more gear, new gear, better gear....so we reconfigure when needed. ;)

haha! Yes indeed. Now I want a machine room, a larger live room and and and...

I have a shop building just outside the house on the end of the house where the current live room and control room are located. Im seriously thinking about building a new live room inside it (but the $$$s). I could move the control room into the current live room, make the current control room into the machine room and build out a 35X25 live room. Just a long weekends worth of work. Right?

If I ever had any advice to someone wanting to build a home studio it would be: DONT! Not at least until you educate yourself on the equipment required to do what you want to do. Then think about the size and locations you have to use, then think about it some more. If your ideas solidify for say six months, then start...

Back