Notes stop playing if too many keys pressed. Midi Keyboard or Config related?

crewxp

I currently have a Yamaha YPT-400 Keyboard and I wanted to upgrade my midi capabilities. I want to do more with it, and sometimes when I press 5 keys at once, my VST gets distorted. (my left hand note stops even though Im holding the note. Not sure if that's keyboard related). I'm usually playing the background bass with my left hand, and so a solo with my right hand. Usually about 5 notes in total (3 left fingers, 2 right). When my right hand plays something complex, the left notes stop playing.

Do you think this is config related or is it time for a new midi controller? I was thinking of the Yamaha DGX-620 or YPG-635 as a replacement

I use Cubase 5 Student Edition, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, and my yamaha midi keyboard through USB.

It might be the polyphony setting on the soft synth your using is too low, I know the ES1 soft synth in logic has a setting like this, I guess if you set a low number of notes you can play at once it saves proccesing power.

Yeah I think you're maxing out the polyphony on the vsti. Midi sends a 'key pressed' (with velocity), and a key released when you let go. There is no midi data sent in between, and midi doesn't care how many keys you mash at once, it'll transfer ALL the data. It's up the the synth to be able to interpret and play it correctly.

Yup...probably a polyphony issue.

Record some/all of the MIDI tracks as audio tracks...that way you lessen the MIDI load.

Yup...probably a polyphony issue.

Record some/all of the MIDI tracks as audio tracks...that way you lessen the MIDI load.

Or you could break the part up into 2 midi tracks and have 2 of the same vsti's loaded.

Back