Not the usual best production thread ;)

Feanor IV

Well, I was thinking, there are so many songs/albums with a decent or even unreal :-)D) production etc, but there are some songs where production (by which I actually mean anything except for the song and performances, i.e. effects like the classic Cher thing, a characteristic drum sound etc) takes over the leading role, and some clever idea in the production turned the song into a classic. Again, Cher's "Believe" would probably be the first one would think of.... So, I guess you get the idea ;) So, which songs do you remember that fall in this category?

Jimi Hendrix - If 6 Was 9.... The story behind the production of the drum track on that song is awesome... Long story short... It was a beat up piece of tape that caused the drums to sound so friggin' cool!

(Not to mention the song is awesome to begin with) ;)

Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows

All the sound fx are little clippings of tape joined to make a loop. It would pretty much be half a song without those fx.

The larger than life drum sound on Tool's Aenima.

Botrill took a PA speaker and placed it above and behind Carey's head. He ran a copy of the snare, kick, and tom tracks through the PA (EQed) to be picked up through the ambient mics. Wala, big drum sound.

LeeRosario said:
The larger than life drum sound on Tool's Aenima.

Botrill took a PA speaker and placed it above and behind Carey's head. He ran a copy of the snare, kick, and tom tracks through the PA (EQed) to be picked up through the ambient mics. Wala, big drum sound.

Wow... I love that album! Thanks for the info!... Make me wonder whether he used ear protection while doing that... :p

Back