Not so new, damn I'm bored, & you're old in more than just the industry...

pashop said:
I have read through the Vandor stuff a few times. What the heck is it?
A record company?
Do they have distribution and with who?
Do the artists come in with complete finished packages?
How does Vandor make money.....percentage?
Since the artist is required to supply promotion budget how much is it?
What Vandor artist is doing well?
There is allot of smoke and mirrors can anyone tell me in black and white what the deal is?
All the info you request is available on their website! :D

Seriously, the fact that the site is a bit confusing is what led to some of our posts above. But, I don't think anything contractural in the music industry is "black and white."

Vandor is a music publishing company.

It's not everything, but one of the main things they do is upload your music to promo libraries for consideration. It's not guaranteed, or even likely, that your song will get any play, but it could. At $600 per song, it ain't worth it to a "beer joint baritone" like me.

Which bands are "doing well?" Depends on what you mean by that. As I said, I've heard of the Stiffff Kitties. Don't know if that's Vandor's doing or the band's doing. Vandor mainly tracks it's success via the Atlantic-Satellite chart, which is very hard to navigate since you have to load it a page at a time and scroll through. Somewhere there was a list of the Vandor artists and their current chart positions, but I'll be damned it I can find it now :(

grn,

If you weren’t a complete ninny - and a damned liar - (the ninny, first) you’d know that ALL businesses exist for one sole and exclusive purpose: TO MAKE MONEY! Manufacturing, farming, medicine, law, engineering, all of it! TO MAKE MONEY! (Now, the damned liar!) Neither myself, nor VMG, give anybody “false hopes”! Period. We do bust their stupid-bubbles, and if you’d actually READ the site and PAID ATTENTION rather than skimming with your stupidity intact, you’d know that.

Never heard of any Vandor Artists?

You mean, like Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Benny Goodman, Lena Horne, Rod Stewart, Alice Cooper, Johnny Cash, Vic Damone, Platters, Commander Cody, Bing Crosby, Waylon Jennings, Patti Page, Lauren Bacall, Helen O’Connell, Rosemary Clooney, Andrews Sisters, Guy Lombardo, Quincy Jones, Woody Herman, Beach Boys, Tommy Dorsey, Gordon Lightfoot, Boz Scaggs, Lionel Hampton, Mel Torme, Oakridge Boys, Tony Bennett, Count Basie, Alabama, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat “King” Cole, Muddy Waters, Glenn Miller, Bo Diddley, Johnny Paycheck, Billie Holiday, Arthur Fiedler & Boston Pops, Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra, Anne Murray, Jimmy Rogers, Bobby Sherwood, Freddie Fender, Coasters, Tommy Roe, Little Richard, George Jones, Jimmy Clanton, Gladys Knight, Drifters, Buddy Greco, Wilbert Harrison, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Aaron Neville, Tex Williams, Herb Jeffries, Eddie Dean, Ray Charles, Peter Frampton, Rusty Draper, Kitty Wells, Burl Ives, Cab Calloway, Roy Drusky, Merle Travis, Mac Davis, Doc Watson, Smokey Stover, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, Etta James, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sarah Vaughn, Billie Jo Spears, June Cristy, Louis Armstrong, Robert Goulet, Kingston Trio, Jimmy Wakely, Santo & Johnny, Gene Krupa, Ferlin Husky, Joe South, Tex Ritter, Bill Haley, Fats Domino, Duke Ellington, Mickey Gilley, Don Williams, Johnny Lee, Dizzy Gillespie, Bill Monroe, B B King and Neil Sedaka?

Vandor just signed 160 albums of these Artists!

htto://mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=58650

And, YES! Some of them were/are close friends I’ve known and done business with for years. I broke many of them on radio, some started on their own labels where I did promotion AND distribution for them, worked sessions - both as a singer, musician, producer and engineer - originated their financial marketing plans, and opened a few other doors for some them along the way.

I assure you, the hundreds of Gold & Platinum Plaques we’ve earned over the past half-century-plus contain a hell of a lot more NAMES just like those above - from Leadbelly, Hank Williams, Sr., Mantovani, Patsy Cline, Linda Ronstadt and the list goes on! And myself or VMG or both were involved with each and every one of them or we wouldn’t have the plaques.

So if anybody is “stupid” here, it’s the SKIAs like you.

To Wit: A career in entertainment comes with baggage and land mines in the road. Anyone who’s BEEN THERE and spells it out for those who want that career and are wasting their time, lives, effort and money doing the NEVER-DID-WORK poppycock - is always called a crook, scam or some other disreputable by the REAL crack pot element, like you.

ChristopherM

THANKS!

Pashop

I have read through the Vandor stuff a few times. What the heck is it?
A record company?
Do they have distribution and with who?

Vandor Motion Pictures, Phonorecords and Music Publishing Group is a GENERAL LICENSER, which means WE ARE a distributor. In the early days of ‘direct promotion’ we were known as “Master Distributors” because we had the distribution. And the remaining Seven, BMG, SONY, EMI, WEA, WDC, URMG and VMG still do. The difference today is, the GLs are global with licensing, manufacturing, promotion and distribution. There are a few National and next-door-neighbor International like KOCH in Canada, but only the GLs are world wide across the board. FYI, Warner (WEA) just unloaded their North American distribution and manufacturing to CINRAM in Canada.

Do the artists come in with complete finished packages?

Artists? No. Executive Producers (ExP), YES! Just like at every other record company! If that happens to be the same person, group, band, etcetera, so be it. There’s an Associated Press article this week about MICHAEL JACKSON and the money he had to raise for his projects! The idiot element thinks record companies pay all the bills, and only an idiot would maintain that delusion.

Just don’t confuse a RECORD producer with an EXECUTIVE producer. They are TITLES, of one who actually delivers the recording, the other pays the bills. I’m working on an article explaining that mix-up for one of the news services, but I may be able to post it somewhere here for those who want the ACCURATE information> (And all those who need something to spew their stupidity about.)

How does Vandor make money.....percentage?

Two ways (when and if we take the project). First, by our share of the record sales. Second, by administrative services (doing the paperwork, accounting, disbursements, etcetera) for the labels and publishers, which is contracted on a contingent-commission basis. Anytime you see the word “percentage” in a contract … WATCH OUT! The ever-disastrous “percentage of wholesale” that lawyers are so damned fond of is a prime example.

Since the artist is required to supply promotion budget how much is it?

Depending on which company they’re with, ExPs (not the Artist) are required to pay one quarter to one third the initial promotion budget. VMG’s set is one quarter. The other three quarters come from the label, publisher and ourselves. As for “how much”, that depends on the project, primarily determined by the actual Field of Music and any crossover potential. The most crossover, the more places the record has to go, the more logistics to deliver it, and thus the more money it costs.

What Vandor artist is doing well?

READ THE LEGITIMATE CHARTS! And, NO!, neither Billboard nor R&R qualify! You can chart elephant flatulence in either one, it just costs a ton of money. Remember Billboard’s #1 chart of Eminem a few months back - and the record DIDN’T EXIST yet? Pray tell us all HOW can a record that exists ONLY as electronic data manages to get itself swiped through the record store computers - the reputed ‘basis’ of SOUNDSCAM?

The process is simple: the chart ‘position’ was BOUGHT long before … and some minimum wage employee did the art-layout from the ‘information’ given for the page that was DUE THAT WEEK - and NOBODY CAUGHT THE BLUNDER! The record had been held up in manufacture, but it had been UPLOADED to the promolibraries, where the BOUGHT AIR-TIME stations were playing it from.

Now THAT is a scam! But I don’t see any of the jerk-element spewing about it.

There is allot of smoke and mirrors can anyone tell me in black and white what the deal is?

Neither smoke, nor mirrors. And nobody can tell anyone anything who has a mind set that WILL NOT observe. The ages-old and deliberately-perpetuated myths and delusions in this industry are well thought out, polished, and rampant! Every now and then somebody will ‘get hyped’ about having been ‘discovered’ just to keep the delusion alive. Our site spells this out, along with a lot of other “dos & don’ts” and the HOW TO DO IT and WHAT TO AVOID information.

Go back and read the site again. Like ChristopherM said, the answers to all your questions are in the site, and I’m damned sure NOT going to post that humongeous thing here! :-)

TDA

Re: Re: ...

ChristopherM said:

As ma used ta say:
"Never wrestle with a pig, you get dirty and the pig actually likes it."

I never heard ma say that. I did hear her say, however, "never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and angers the pig.

:D

Wow. The record industry sounds like a really moral, "on the up-and-up" kind of entity. And curiously free of pretentious windbags, too.

Good bunch of folks working hard to earn a fair living, I tell 'ya.

Yup.

Back