not shure (hmm..i guess that's old)

jojojeronimo

Is a good ol little "SBLive Value" soundcard appropriate for recording vocals off something like the Shure SM58?

Indeed, is the Shure SM58 the best value/quality mic for that sort of budget bracket ($US 50-150)or is there something better value you have come across?

And to wrap up my muddle, what is your general opinion (for a newbie) on what sort of room the use of this Shure or whatever would require.

Maybe only my second question is relevant in this section. Thanks

Matching microphones to soundcards is really not something that is done. Matching microphones to preamps is another story. You will need a microphone preamp to maximize the quality of your recording. You will need to spend from $40 to $100 per channel to get started. (The microphone preamp built in to the SB Live might *work* with a dynamic mic like the SM58, but it won't be great.)

There are lots of cards that are better than the SB Live for recording....the SB Live is way at the bottom of the list. There are certainly other cards that are *near* the price of the SB Live (e.g. under $200) that will blow it away, such as the m-Audio Audiophile 2496 or the Echo MIA.

As far as the room goes...as long as you're singing right up in the mic you don't have to worry about it much. That's one of the nice things about using a cardiod dynamic mic. When you get into more sensitive microphones with wider pickup patterns, your room will probably drive you nuts.

Slackmaster 2000

pre

You'll need a mic pre-amp for the mic, you can't just plug it into your soundcard. You can get an ART Tube pre for about $99, and the mic for about $99..If you go right into your sound card, it will probably yield decent results..go with a higher end mic, and then you'll notice the shortcomings of the signal path.

as far as rooms go, since the 58 has a cardiod pattern, it will reject sound from the rear so the room really won't matter too much as long as the mic is close to the source (a few inches). If you WANT room sound, keep the mic further away. If you're having problems take some old blankets and put them around what you're recording..hang them over a chair or whatnot, surround your source by stuff to deaden reflections.

--Sal

Instead of the Art preamp check out the M-Audio Audio Buddy.Its a two channel solid state preamp/direct box that sells for $79.I have both the Art and the Audio Buddy and the Audio Buddy blows the Art away.Much quieter and more transparent,a very natural sound.The Art doesnt do anything but add mud in my opinion.I would sell the Art but I couldnt ask anywhere near what I paid for it as I would feel I was ripping someone off.If I sold it for what I think its worth that would only be about ten bucks.

ah

When I needed a dual preamp to add to my Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro, so I could use all 8 inputs on my ADAT for mics, I was LOOKING at that, but it was backordered online and Mars told me it was discontinued (I hate that store, it's like Starbucks..big evil corporate monopoly)..so I picked up the ART instead , figuring it would be useful to have a tube based preamp for vocals maybe or bass, to widen up the sound..oh well, I never heard the buddy, but the ART is fun on a weak/wimpy vocalist..

--Sal

Back