Not quite sure what to do with this vocal

SweetDan

I can't get the vocal to sit exactly like I want it to in this mix. What I've done on the vocal so far (as much as I can recall, at least...already closed the DAW for the day) was: 1) high-pass filter below ~180 or so, 2) dip out a bit with EQ around 800-900 Hz, 3) boost a bit in the high end, and 4) compress. (No reverbs/delays yet.)

I'm attaching 4 samples:
- about 20 seconds of the mix with just the band (View attachment vocal_fit_band_only.mp3)
- the same 20 seconds with the band and the wet vocal (View attachment vocal_fit_full.mp3),
- dry solo vocal (View attachment vocal_fit_vocal_w_fx.mp3)
- wet solo vocal (View attachment vocal_fit_vocal_no_fx.mp3).

Any suggestions on how best to eq this vocal so it fits better than I can get it go in there would be much appreciated.

180 is pretty high for a male vocal. I wouldn't imagine a filter be needed higher than 130. Most people around here aim for 100-120. Reverb is a big part of making the vocal gel with the track, so it doesn't surprise me that you say it doesn't sit without any. Try some verb and see how it fits then. Also, i know you're compressing, but try manually adjusting the vocal lines for volume first. Once the lyrics are at the appropriate volume via manual adjustment, compress then.

Back