Not Happy With Tone of E609 for Cab Mic

MoBettaBlues said:
I've got my eye on a Beyer 160. Doesn't seem bad for under $600. Any thoughts?

All the reviews and testimonials I have read say the M130 or M160 is THE ribbon to beat for anything under $900.

My budget only allowed me the Apex 210 ribbon, but it is a very nice, warm sound......after I spent a few hours doing test recordings to figure out how to set it and tweak it for a sound that seemed natrual to my ears. Probably should do that with any mic...... but I can see where using a ribbon on a guitar cab would give much better results than the usual suspects of budget dynamics...

bigtoe said:
i just went thru the same thing with a carvin 2X12 and a 409. really thin sounding mic. it would be cool for a muddy guitar...

try an sm7.

you will not go wrong with the beyers or the 421 either, but for guitars i absolutely love the SM7...317 new from full compass.

Mike

How does the SM7 compare to the 421. You've got me thinking. Also, right now my only pre is my Digi -002R. Any thoughts on the quality I will get from this?

MoBettaBlues said:
How does the SM7 compare to the 421. You've got me thinking. Also, right now my only pre is my Digi -002R. Any thoughts on the quality I will get from this?

SM7 has a smoother top and a lot of lower mids. a 421 will cut thru the middle more. if i do a standard rock band thing i'll do the main guitars with an SM7 and the leads with a 421. i have ribbons too...i have just come to prefer the SM7... for a while now..

SM7 requires a lot of gain but if you're doing a reasonably loud amplifer you shouldn't have much trouble.

again - all will work very well. you're in a good situation where picking a winner is as easy as finding what you can afford.

Mike

Back