not getting clean guitar sound?

robbocop

I've had this problem for so long its not funny.Im using a new Peavey Wolfgang guitar,a GainBrain preamp between this and the Line in of my Yamaha sw1000xg sound card.The preamp is a line and mic preamp.It has a three way toggle switch on it that goes from +4db to 0 to -10db.The line in of the card is -10db.I get best results with the preamp switch at +4db but,i just cant get a clean sound out of my speakers,theres distortion/buzzing like theres a small hole in my speaker,that sort of sound.I mess about with the eq etc of my vst32 software but with varying results.The strange thing is i ditched trying to get a good bass sound from a plugin and i got a bass,now i thought if im getting problems with a lead guitar sound surely a bass being a meatier sound is going to cause more distortion but no?It sounds amazing(what an easy instrument to play incidentally,i must have been a bass player in a previous life)its sounds really punchy and tight,brilliant!So whats wrong with getting a good clean sound from guitar?I bypass the soundcard altogether and plug lead guitar into speakers,crystal clear!no distortion at all!Can anyone try and explain where to start to solve this,sorry for long post,thanks!

robbocop said:
It has a three way toggle switch on it that goes from +4db to 0 to -10db.The line in of the card is -10db.I get best results with the preamp switch at +4db but,i just cant get a clean sound out of my speakers,theres distortion/buzzing like theres a small hole in my speaker,that sort of sound.

You may have answered your own question. Have you tried setting the output to -10db? Also try turning down the volume on your guitar.

Back