Not getting any sound

pelleplu

Hello, this is my first post here so be easy on me :)

I got a new amp a couple of days ago and now I was going to try connecting it to the computer, hoping to record some stuff.
First I connected my bass to the amp, and on the amp there is a lineout jack, so I connected the other instrument cord to it and used a converter on the other end to connect it to my soundcard. (My amp is a Kustom KBA30 if it helps).
I checked the volume/recording settings in windows and on playback the linein volume is maxed, and in the recording window linein is selected and maxed out. Still, when I try to record something I can't get any sound. Neither cooledit nor my tuning program detects anything at all.
Any ideas as to what might be wrong here?

I`d check the entire chain, one thing at the time. check the line out on the amp, then the cord, then the input on the card with another source, then check the windows recorder and see if the problem could be in your card or the software.

If this is a new amp then its problably a software or connector Issue. Not the Amp.
Make sure the connector is inserted properly. Ive had problems with 1/4 to 1/8" connectors before into my soundcard. Just a little jiggle and it worked.
Make sure on cool edit that the recording device is your soundcard. If you have recorded with Cool edit before then I assume you know where these settings are.
:cool:

damn.. I'm not getting any reading at all if I plug it into the linein on my minidisc, but if I plug it into the microphone input it works. I tried inserting it into the mic in on the soundcard as well, and it worked but the sound was just garbage.
At least that rules out the adaptor thing.. I don't understand why the linein won't work.. *starts ripping out hair*

pelleplu said:
Any ideas as to what might be wrong here?

I'd approach this as suggested, but from both ends.

Is their any other line source (like the lineout from a CD player)
you can run into the line-in to see if a real signal gets a real response? And what was already suggested- test the signal being delivered to your soundcard on some other listening system.

Back