not a drummer, but i need drums in my songs.

mckayormacky

i dont know how to drum, but in my bands i pretty much told my drummer what he should do where.

what kind of program is good for punk or hardcore type sounds, and would allow me to lay it out kinda of easily into a drum track for a song?

i dont have money for a drum set, nor a friend i can depend on to come and record. hence why im starting to look for a way to record drums myself. is a program for making a drum track for punk songs realistic, or is it not going to happen?

i have Sonar 4. thats about it. id be willing to spend a couple hundred ollars on a drum machine if thats better then a program. i reall just need something to give me the sounds and a way of laying them into a drum track.

"I don't know how to drum, but I told my drummer what he should be doing......" :S

If you want it realistic for punk you will be spending a lot of times on the volume of individual notes etc, also I cymbals are hard to make sound real because they are such a dynamic instrument. If you've got Sonar 4 then you can write the drum lines using Piano Roll, then you just need a nice sounding soft synth to play them. Not sure what to suggest because I am a drummer and do it all myself :P

You could always ask around here if someone would be willing to lay down some real drum tracks for you.

there are probably loads of people here who would be willing to lay down tracks of real drums, otherwise i would get kontakt and a bunch of nice drum samples.

I'd recommend a drum machine. The Alesis SR-16 is a nice cheap one. Boss makes some very good ones.

if i were to get FL studio. would i have to buy a certain drum pack with the kind of sounds i want like punk and hardcore. or are there styles already built in i could use.

how hard is it to lay like a 3 minute drum track with a drum machine. and whats the quality compared to a FL studio track.

A good week of playing with a SR-16 and some manual reading, you should find it really easy. Will sound ok. A better machine, such as a Boss would sound better.

vangore said:
there are probably loads of people here who would be willing to lay down tracks of real drums, otherwise i would get kontakt and a bunch of nice drum samples.
Four $100 I'll lay down a few tracks for you :cool:

what are a list of drum programs i could check out?

could i use Sonar 4? like to import sounds or would i need something specifically for drums.

Last edited:
HangDawg said:
You could always ask around here if someone would be willing to lay down some real drum tracks for you.

mccayormacky, if you want i could lay down some tracks for you, i need a reason to use my new mics and my guitarist sucks... pm me if you want, or email me at william_hayes86@yahoo.com...

p.s. i dont like drum machines, so i wouldnt recommend them

no its ok i need to make the drums my self. heh have all the drums the way they should go in my head. need a means of laying them down when i have ideas to a song.

I'm a big fan of BFD from www.fxpansion.com. It's a crazy DVD collection of sampled drums. They have 40-90 velocity levels (geared more for electronic drums than midi, but works well if you do a lot of tweaking) and they sound great, even the cymbals. The only thing it can't do is cymbal swells. It's a little pricy at $300, but hell, my real kit cost $500 (not including hardware and sh*t) so it's still reasonable if you ask me.

wow those are nice sounds... exactly what im looking for.

can i get those kinda sounds free anywhere or cheap for sonar 4? can i even make a full drum track with sonar 4? im such a newb hehe.

The amount of work, studio time, equipment and talent that went into the BFD series is why it costs so much. I doubt you will find similar for less for that very reason! That's why I said you get what you pay for.
:)

Back