Normalizing VS Gain adjustment?

THX1136

Bonehead
I already checked out Dragon's explanation of normalization and as it says under my id I'm a bonehead, but what is the difference between normalization and just adjusting the gain? I use ProTools Free (it is affordable and works for what I do) which has both options. I can specify the max level with each and I don't really understand the difference. If I'm adjusting a track to a minus 1dB with either method am I not accomplishing the same thing ie: a track with a peak level of -1dB? Enlightenment please. (and thank you in advance!)

I think normalization is when you increase it so the highest peak on the soudnwave does not go past 0db so you can't actaully cant normalize to -1dp i dm not sure baout this tho.

if you normalize to bring up the level, everything comes up including the noise. not to say that turning up the gain on a preamp won't increase noise, but if your preamp is fairly quiet, the end result should have less noise than if you normalize. also, using the gain knob rather than normalization will result in more dynamic range.

normalizing and gain is the same thing.
although normalizing does it by searching out the loudest peak and raising everything up in relation to that. So if the highest peak is -1dB and you normalize the entire track to -.1dB...you'll only raise the entire track up -.9dB.

You have more flexibility with gain.
Or just use your faders.

I often work with tracks that have been recorded at a less than 60% of 0dB. What I've been doing is using "find peak" (usually with the gain plugin) and then adjusting the whole track up to a better level. I've used both the gain plugin and normalize plugin. Judging by your response benny it sounds like they are more similar than dissimiliar. Dang, if you don't learn something new every day! Thanks for all the responses.

With the caveat that there's also something called RMS normalization. Some apps use RMS levels (average levels) instead of peak levels. Many apps that use RMS levels in their normalization also use a limiter to clip the peaks if they would distort, effectively turning normalization into a crude compressor.

Note: I don't approve of that misuse of the term normalization. Just wanted to point out that there are vendors that do misuse it. :D

I often work with tracks that have been recorded at a less than 60% of 0dB. What I've been doing is using "find peak" (usually with the gain plugin) and then adjusting the whole track up to a better level. I've used both the gain plugin and normalize plugin. Judging by your response benny it sounds like they are more similar than dissimiliar. Dang, if you don't learn something new every day! Thanks for all the responses.

the question is why are you using the gain or normalize plugin? are you not recording hot enough (but not too hot). 60% of 0dB should be fine in a 24 bit environment. Remember, the average level of a track should be around -18dBFS. Gain or normalize is a last resort for me. For example if I have something recorded from someone else that comes in at around -40dB or something...and I just HAVE to bring it up louder.

dgatwood said:
With the caveat that there's also something called RMS normalization
Note: I don't approve of that misuse of the term normalization.
It's amazing how long it always takes for someone to mention RMS normalization. That's not anymore a "misuse" of termonology as it is an accurate and appropriate description of what the app does. The misuse in terminology, IMHO, is the use of the term "normalizer" without specifying which type it is. There are "peak normalizers" and "RMS normalizers". To use the term "normalizer" without a modifyier is almost as bad as specifying dB without specifying which dB scale you're referring to. (That last one drives me insane, BTW :rolleyes:)
the question is why are you using the gain or normalize plugin? are you not recording hot enough (but not too hot). 60% of 0dB should be fine in a 24 bit environment. Remember, the average level of a track should be around -18dBFS. Gain or normalize is a last resort for me. For example if I have something recorded from someone else that comes in at around -40dB or something...and I just HAVE to bring it up louder.
More to that point, peak normalization was never originally intended to be used in the manner in which we describe it, particularly in a multitrack environment. Both kinds of normalizers (peak and RMS) are great for use on multi-take or multi-clip single mono tracks - musical or non-musical - which is what they really were originally designed for. (We tend to forget that audio NLEs have many applications beyond the music recordings we are mostly into on this board.) And subsequently, we musical-minded people have learned to adapt them to use sometimes on our stereo mixdowns as part of pre-mastering.

But in a multitrack environment, the main use of normalization - both peak and RMS - is to try and match levels of multiple clips within a track, not to rase the volume of a single track.

This is why they let you choose levels other than 0dBFS. There's *nothing* anywhere that says that normalization is intended to raise the volume of a track. We all just assume that because of an idiotic "turn it to 11" mentality. In reality, normalization (think of that name) is meant to be a process for *matching* levels between multiple clips. That could mean bringing the volume of clip A down to the volume of clip B just as much as it means bringing the volume up. You are "normalizing" the volume of the individual clips - i.e. making them all sound pretty much the same. That's what they are really supposed to be for.

What makes them superior to gain controls in that respect is that one can choose a specific overall level (either peak or RMS) and then just run each clip to that level. With a gain control, one would have to raise or lower each clip individually by it's own amount to provide matching levels. Yes, peak normalization and gain control perform basically the same operation, but for the intended purpose of matching clip levels, normalization is much more automatic.

The big irony is that for that purpose, RMS normalization is actually usually more effective than peak normalization in getting the average job done, especially when there's signifigant differences in the sonic density of the clips to be matched.

G.

Well Benny that is what my situation is. I get recordings (live, mono - 16bit) where the recordist has been conservative in the levels for whatever reason. I am assuming they didn't want to get over 0 due to the nasty distortion when that is done. And, not having some other means besides riding a fader, they preferred a set and forget approach. I usually don't ask, but I do encourage them to record at a higher level as very low levels rob one of digital bandwidth so to speak especially at 16 bit. So I do agree with you on that for sure.

In my mind using the RTAS gain plugin - or normalization plug - to bring the overall level of the track to a more robust level seems more effective and expedient than pulling up the fader as mentioned by travis. I appreciate your response and the others. Thanks to Glen for the explanation of normalization from the angle of peak vs rms.

Last edited:
It's amazing how long it always takes for someone to mention RMS normalization. That's not anymore a "misuse" of termonology as it is an accurate and appropriate description of what the app does. The misuse in terminology, IMHO, is the use of the term "normalizer" without specifying which type it is. There are "peak normalizers" and "RMS normalizers".

The misuse, IMHO, is the use of "RMS normalizer" to mean "RMS normalizer with a limiter". :D

Back