Normalizing vocal tracks

Edict2508

K, I have a question here on normalizing vocal tracks. When I record something, the recorded volume many times fluctuates, for example when I hit a higher note and sing it louder.

Is there any piece of software in particular that can take that vocal wav file and make it all one single volume?

That would be really great, especially when it comes to doing triple vocal arrangements. Sometimes not all parts are heard clearly, some are too low, some are too high and drown the others out, etc.

Thanks for any help. :)

PS. For those using n-Track Studio, I tried to use its normalize feature but I did not notice a difference in the vocal wav's general volume. I either used the feature wrong or simply don't know what normalization really is and am looking for something completely different. :p

You shouldn't be normalizing vocal tracks. Learn how to distance yourself from the mic for louder passages and if you can't tame it, use a little compression on the way in.

Yes, you're talking about compression, not normalization.
http://homerecording.about.com/od/techniques/a/basic_comp.htm
I'm not familiar with n-Tracks, but you may already have a compressor plugin.

BTW, normalization refers to applying the same amount of gain to the entire track to make it as loud as possible without clipping. So normalizing does nothing to the relative level difference of a quiet part compared to a loud part, they just both get louder.

reshp1 said:
Yes, you're talking about compression, not normalization.
You're right, I was. Thanks for that link, I'm going through the rest of that site as well.

Man... so many variables, settings, ratios, lol.

Oh well, gotta learn it sometime.

Thanks everyone.

Back