Normalizing, Compression, Limiting - HELP

MercyfullMusic

Ok, here's the deal. I have Sonar, the Delta 1010, and a small 8 input Behringer mixer. Pretty decent stuff. I was trying to record drums for the first time the other day, and although I set the gains on the mixer to be as hot as possible without clipping, my level on the tracks is low and visually the waveform is small. I normalize, but again it is still pretty low.

So, I think the real problem here is limiting and compression. My question is this...is the best idea to compress before (or as) you record so you get a hotter level? Would the ideal be to have some outboard rack stuff to send a hot consistent level in? Or can I do this just as well with Sonar's Compression and Limiting after it's already in the computer. The difficulty I have with the real-time effects of compression is that I can't see the waveform's change. I want to see the waveform really maxed.

I have messed a little with loops on CD you can buy and the drums kick you in the face!!!!! How can I get that type of level? I think it's a critical problem because it's very easy to mix loops whereas music at levels I have recorded it much tougher to mix.

FYI: I am using good drum mics so they are not the problem.

I'm using a 1010 also and recording lots of drums. How are the levels on the 1010 mixer? How are the levels on the Windows mixer (I believe this is in the signal chain)?
Does your mixer have inserts? Are you using them? Are you getting phantom power to your condenser mics?
Mic placement is also a factor. Get them closer if you have to. A little distance can make a difference on a cardioid mic.
I'm getting some bitchin' drum tracks with plenty of gain without a bit of compression. I'd use it if the drummer is very inconsistant, but I generally only automate the faders. I know this is not gospel, but my understanding of compression is limited, so I go with what I know and what I can hear.
Here's another idea, less drastic than normalizing. Clone all your drum tracks and archive the originals (this way you don't lose anything). Make the tracks louder by 3db (double the volume). It does the same as normalizing, just in smaller increments. You may find that you didn't need to crank it all the way and raise the noise floor as much.

maybe a dumb answer

this may be the most obvious, and dumbest answer, but did you check the levels on your windows/mac volume playback properties and recording properties?

Normalized

After normalizing everything it seems to sound fine. I don't really hear any "noise" persay now that the sound floor is increased. And I am using good monitors. But could the fact that I normalized it come back to haunt me in mastering? (I will be using a good mastering house).

in my opinion... yes. normalising individual tracks will cause you some grief if only because it is a destructive edit, and it gives the mastering house less options.

when you record do you have your record meters set for peak, rms or peak + rms?

how hot are you recording? if you record the incoming signal hot enough, you don't need to normalise.

Crosstudio is right, never Normalise, nor increase/decrease by 3db either, they are desructive fx....unless you archive your original as ChuckU suggests. The trick is to get good levels without resorting to Normalising.

I use Wavelab to Master with Waves fx gold that has a loudness maximiser to blow a track to the max loudness possible. But these are Mastering tools, they shouldn't be used in the mix. Imho.

Great link acidrock, I've marked it as a Favourite. Many thanks.:)

Where do I adjust the Peak Meters?

I've never changed the peak meter setting. It's just a long bar on each track that goes from green to yellow to red. I set the gain so that it stays out of the red, usually around -6 db. How do you change this setting? How would that let you get a hotter level without compressing audio? A meter is just a meter.

I don't seem to have much of a problem with levels on electric guitars or vocals or bass, mainly just drums. It just seems like they need to be compressed at the preamp WHILE being recorded.

In a professional, high end studio do they use NO compression in the preamps they use? Or do they use all tube preamps so there is a natural compression?

meters don't have anything to do with compression levels.

the pull-down next to the meter-options (the last button on the track view screen) will let you select meter options for recording, playback, and output bus.

setting the record meters to peak will help you get the gain level right.

setting the playback meters to peak + rms will help you set your compression levels right. not that this is the way to do it, but i set my threshold to the average level of the RMS, then use the difference between the RMS and the Peak to figure out what my ratio should be.

Back