Normalizing and Mixing

wordizbon

Here is a question thats probably asked a million times. If so sorry I didn't back on the retro list.

Anyway is it a good idea to normalize all tracks to 0 in the mixing stage? Or does it depend on the type of instruments. How does this affect mastering?

99.9999999% of the time it is not a good idea to normalize each (or any) track before mixing. You'll run out of headroom, and it introduces extra processing artifacts. If you want a track louder, just move the fader up.

So at what level should I set the instruments. Is there standard level on instruments ie. Kick, Snare, Bass, Strings, etc.? or is it pretty much by ear?

I dont know if there is a specific answer to your question.
Maybe the pro's do have some formula that they use.

As for me. I just go with what sounds good. EVERY song is different, and should be mixed that way. I usually start with the drums. then add in the bass, then guitars and then vocals. This is just my preference. But it is a good starting point.

I agree with the previous post too. DO NOT NORMALIZE!

Good Luck

Steven

I am not sure what everybody does, or exactly how it should be. (That means I could be wrong), but I normalize during pre-mastering stage only.

The problem with normalizing is that it's ONLY a gain increase, but with a backwards calculation (where you're increasing the gain by X amount to acheive a set peak value - which isn't really important until the limiting stage anyway). So, you're not quite sure how much you're increasing the gain.

In my opinion, it's better to have control over that increase in the limiting stage.

wordizbon said:
So at what level should I set the instruments. Is there standard level on instruments ie. Kick, Snare, Bass, Strings, etc.? or is it pretty much by ear?
Well..... The answer is always pretty much by ear. :) But if you want some sort of starting place, I usually start with the kick drum alone and set it so the master bus meters hit about -8 to -12 db and build around that.

Maybe the problem is I type the question in the wrong way. I mean before mixing, before mastering. I mean just after recording. When I record from my outboard gear, sometimes the levels are not hot as I thought. I figured all the waveforms should have hit somewhere near the 0db mark on the meters for each individual track. Then afterwards I worry about changing levels via cubase adjusting the strip. I'm I wrong?

wordizbon said:
Maybe the problem is I type the question in the wrong way. I mean before mixing, before mastering. I mean just after recording. When I record from my outboard gear, sometimes the levels are not hot as I thought. I figured all the waveforms should have hit somewhere near the 0db mark on the meters for each individual track. Then afterwards I worry about changing levels via cubase adjusting the strip. I'm I wrong?

In the process of mixing you will make all the volume adjustments needed (normally, within reason). There is no particular advantage to making another pre-layer of volume adjustments, especially if they're permanent like normalizing. And it in fact just adds that much more processing for the audio.
I've found that with not worrying a lot about track record levels in 24 bit, I'll end up with a bunch of tracks at various levels (-20 to all the way up) then rough out the mix with the master comming in five or six below zero, then go from there. Works out fine. Some say better yet would be to record them at their 'intended levels' to minimalize even more.:rolleyes:
Bottom line is if you have a whole stack of maxed out tracks you're going to have to pull them all down even more to come in under the red anyway.
;)
Wayne

Back