Noob question on connecting studio monitors to interface (TRS to 3.5mm)

WesternHaikus1

Hey guys,

I just got in my TASCAM US-800 interface as well as a packaged home recording set up from Musicians Friend. Probably a noob way to start out, but we all gotta start somewhere! Anyways, I have some M-Audio Bx5A monitors, and they connect with TRS (instrument) cables to the interface. Unfortunately, the US-800's line out's are 3.5mm connections. So obviously I need some kind of converter. My question is would you guys recommend new cables that are TRS on one end and 3.5mm on the other, or are those little adapters you just put on the end OK to use? Is this going to have any effect on my monitoring?

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of home recording. That sounds like as good a place to start as any. :)

Somebody may disagree, but I doubt very much that you'd hear any difference at this stage of your career. I have a 'second system' in the bedroom downstairs that I can use for a variety of purposes, including running the DAW if I need to (for learning it or editing). I have the same monitors as you and they seem to do a great job for the price. I bought what seemed to be a reasonable quality cable but it goes from the two mono jacks (to the monitors) at one end down to a stereo 1/4" jack at the other. That goes into an adaptor which sleeves it down to a smaller stereo jack again (1/8" ?) which plugs straight into the back of my iMac. No audio interface. It isn't the prettiest looking setup but it all works fine.

Maybe I'm easily pleased but I have a fancier system upstairs (including pricier monitors) - connected up in a far more approved way - and I don't notice any problems with the M-Audios downstairs in comparison. Usually these things seem to boil down to more practical considerations such as what I can buy over the counter at the local music shop, how much I've got in my pocket at the time, or what I can scrounge out of my gear box. In general it's probably true that the less bits you have in the chain the less opportunity for a loose connection, but I don't think it's anything to stress about. Sometimes it's handy to have certain types of cables in your kit anyway. For instance, the cable I just described (all 1/4" jacks) can be 'borrowed' to run my keyboard into the interface. In fact now I think about it, that's where I pinched it from in the first place... must buy another one...

Good luck, and have fun.

Chris

Last edited:
The Tascam has RCA connectors for monitors on the back panel.
You can use either RCA to 1/4" TS adapters and RCA-to-RCA cables or get two RCA to 1/4" cable, the unbalanced signal won't make a difference on those monitors.

The Tascam has RCA connectors for monitors on the back panel.
You can use either RCA to 1/4" TS adapters and RCA-to-RCA cables or get two RCA to 1/4" cable, the unbalanced signal won't make a difference on those monitors.

+1...
I`m currently usng the RCA to 1/4 cables....fairly cheap at GC..

Cool, so I picked up two Monster Studiolink cables that were on clearance that are TRS to RCA. Got them at GuitarCenter, the guy seemed a little concerned running the monitors unbalanced from TRS to RCA, but as most of you stated I shouldn't expect this to be a problem? Also, are the RCA monitor inputs on fairly standard for TASCAM interfaces (or interfaces in general)? Seems a little odd.

Hope the clearance price was under $25!

RCA jacks are not typical really. Though on entry level units, this is the easiest connection to things like a stereo receiver. It is not necessarily a bad thing. RCA is just another connector that is equivalent to a TS 1/4". Balanced TRS connectors have additional shielding. In most situations, it is not an issue. If your speaker cables must cross AC (power) lines, make sure they cross at a 90 degree angle. This will minimize the potential for noise in your monitor connection.

Back