Non PCI-Slot based Comp. Recording

velvetomatoe

Hello everyone. Here's my story. I recently purchased a new computer and upon receiving it realized that the pci slot for the soundcard will no longer work with my soundcard because the card is too big for the slot. SO...I'm looking into an alternative solution to doing recording, as I customized the computer with all the crap I would need to do high speed recording (i.e. gig of ram, pentium 4 3-gig processor, 250GB hard drive etc.)

Here are my needs/what I would hope to accomplish:
*Be able to multitrack up to 4 (or more) tracks on seperate tracks in Adobe Audition
*Need phantom power to power condensors
*Don't necessarily need line inputs as I don't do much direct but would like the option
*Needs to externally hook into the computer as most pci slots are unavailable
*24-bit/96kHz processing
*Need Mic pre's or otherwise ability to run from mixer into the unit, however the former is the preferred option.
*Ability to monitor input as well as output from the computer for mixing purposes through headphones and in the future, monitor speakers
*Willing to spend between $200 - $400
*I'm running Windows XP and Adobe Audition 1.5

I'm currently looking at the Lexicon Omega as my primary option but I was wondering if anyone had any input on the subject as to how well this product performs or of any superior alternatives. I'm willing to entertain any options within reason. Any and all help, suggestions and comments are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Kevin~

I recently purchased a new computer and upon receiving it realized that the pci slot for the soundcard will no longer work with my soundcard because the card is too big for the slot.

:confused:

Huh?

brzilian said:

The pci slot is too small for the soundcard to fit. Thus I can't use a regular soundcard to record. It's a Dell Dimension 4700c desktop. The card is built into the tower. Hope that makes more sense. Guess I should proofread these things huh? :p

Thanks, I had no idea what they were called. Do they make cards that will fit them? or should I continue on the USB path? Or even which would be easier? Thanks

~Kevin~

If you mean something like a Soundblaster Live card by a "regular" soundcard, then it would be PCI, which would not fit in a PCI Express slot. However, if your talking about a (really old) soundcard with an ISA slot, then your waaaay behind. However, I doubt you mean an ISA card.

I don't know of any soundcards that are made for recording and that use the PCI Express slot, but then again, I'm far from an expert in those fields.

I'm just looking for something that will fit the aforementioned specs. and still produce a quality sound recording. I was using the M-Audio Delta 1010Lt which was perfect. So I'm looking for something with similar or better quality but that can be run with the system I described. Any leads? and much thanks to everyone who's contributed so far.

~Kevin~

The specs for the 4700 clearly state it has:

2 PCI slots

1 PCIe x 1 slot

1 PCIe x 16 (graphics) slot

4700_chassis_open_314.jpg

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup&~tab=specstab

The 1010LT is a PCI card as well:

delta_1010_lt.jpg

It don't see how it couldn't work with your Dell.

I'm using the 4700c not the 4700 which I checked the specs and it has:

1 half-height PCIe x 1 slot
1 half-height PCIe x 16 (graphics) slot

There's the problem. So I'm really concerned with USB supported devices as I can't support firewire either.

~Kevin~

velvetomatoe said:
I'm using the 4700c not the 4700 which I checked the specs and it has:

1 half-height PCIe x 1 slot
1 half-height PCIe x 16 (graphics) slot

There's the problem. So I'm really concerned with USB supported devices as I can't support firewire either.

~Kevin~

You're not going to get more than 2 tracks out of USB (reliably) - not enough bandwidth.

Dude, you're SOL - you should have looked into this before buying the Dell.

brzilian said:
You're not going to get more than 2 tracks out of USB (reliably) - not enough bandwidth.

Dude, you're SOL - you should have looked into this before buying the Dell.

He might be able to do well with one of the Edirol USB 2.0 devices, as his computer definitely will have USB2.

But I agree, not the best solution for audio.

Thanks for the help. I e-mailed Dell with the problem and they're gonna refund the purchase so I can get a different tower w/ regular PCI slots. I'm out the shipping money to send it back but it's worth it. You live, you learn. Thanks for all the help everyone.

~Kevin~

well I for one am glad you posted this, I never even heard of "pci express" slots. but you can sure bet I'll be looking at that the next time I purchase a computer. so thanks for the learnin'.

Something I have been looking into lately is the Presonus Firebox. Although it may not have enough inputs for you...but everything else is covered. And it sounds pretty nice.

Anyone know if it is compatible with Guitar Tracks Pro3?

Back