Non-drummer looking for drum MIDI controller

noisewreck

Hey guys,

Can someone recommend some MIDI drum controllers? I am just looking for something that has velocity sensitive pads that can be played with drumsticks, and doesn't include a sound module. Strictly a controller to allow me to trigger samples from something like NI Battery for example.

Anything in the sub-$500 range that can stand some abuse? Perferably nothing like those electronic drum-kits, but a setup more like the Yamaha DTX Multi12, but w/o it's own sound module. If it has the ability to assign MIDI notes to the pads, even better.

I'd recommend a drumkat, like this:

drumkat10.jpg

I've got a drumkat dk10 (the low end model) I bought used on fleabay probably 7 or 8 years ago. I've never had a problem with it. I like the way the pads are arranged compared to that Yamaha or the Roland equivalent...it just flows better than a rectangle IMO, and a few more pads to boot. It's got inputs for high hat and kick pedals.

I haven't really used mine since I bought an acoustic set last year...but it's still there if I need it.

I've been looking at them, but new they're around $1300 or more. Way out of my range ATM. There aren't many on eBay, and the ones don't seem to be in a good shape.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll keep my eyes open on eBay :)

guitar pro 5, you can program drums within the software, and export midi.

Import the midi into your ezdrummer, BFD, reason kits, whatever you use, and BAM all the midi is there.

guitar pro 5, you can program drums within the software, and export midi.

Import the midi into your ezdrummer, BFD, reason kits, whatever you use, and BAM all the midi is there.
I have Cubase. The point is NOT to program the drums with the mouse or even play it on the keyboard, but to actually play some drum parts with drum sticks.

While I don't have a problem with programming drums, you get a completely different feel when actually hitting things with drumsticks, ya know? :D

MIDI part isn't the end, the point is, HOW I get the said MIDI part. I actually want to play Battery with drumsticks :)

I've been looking at them, but new they're around $1300 or more. Way out of my range ATM. There aren't many on eBay, and the ones don't seem to be in a good shape.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll keep my eyes open on eBay :)

Wow...I had no idea they were that expensive now. I think I paid $350 (can't remember if that included shipping) on ebay for the dk10, a pretty heavy duty stand with the adapter to attach it, power supply and the high hat pedal....that was more than a few years ago.

You might want to check out your local craigslist. I've only seen one drumkat on there over the years, but I've seen more than a few of the roland spd/sps series on my craigslist. Those roland units do have internal sounds, but you don't need to use them for what you are planning on doing. You can send the midi out to the computer easily enough.

Good luck on your search!

I have an Alesis D4. You can get them or the later ones for $100 - 150 used and they have a lot of trigger inputs. I bought a set of stick on triggers for I think about $30-40 which work great. If you had some POS drumset you could muffle the daylights out of, you could put triggers on that and end up with a pretty cheap setup that wouldn't be half bad. Or buy some legit trigger pads for it. You could make a totally good setup for peanuts that way. I put a piece of wood on a cement cinder block with straps once. It had a piece of angle iron on it I could clamp my pedal to, and I used Radio Shack piezos which worked fine for a bass drum trigger. I used it for a long time, the weight made it feel good. There's free triggers in old fire alarms and old microwave ovens that work as well as the ones they sell, so you could probably get a used Alesis and use free triggers if you're real broke.

Back