Noisy Marshall head

Chadwick

I just picked up a used JCM2000 DSL50. When I got it home I noticed a humming noise coming from inside the head itself. This isn't normal is it? Any guesses out there on what is causing this?
Thanks,
Chad

you may need to replace one or more of the tubes or just buy a mesa.... depending on your application ..... (recording, practice, gigs, etc)

mt_bottl said:
you may need to replace one or more of the tubes or just buy a mesa.... depending on your application ..... (recording, practice, gigs, etc)

Thats just plain rude! Maybe you should buy a Fender and learn how to play.......no more covering up with HiGain.

Thanks Empty. I'll just go get this thing re-tubed and biased. I sold my Boogie a few years back. I wasn't all that happy with it.

Locus, I already own a twin reverb. I've had it for about 20 years now and I'll never get rid of it. Thanks for the advice on learning how to play. Maybe I'll start taking lessons.

Another thing to do before you spend any money on tubes is check if the humming is coming from one of the transformers. This is a very common problem with transformers; when they built the transformer, they dip it in varnish to "glue" tha laminations together so that they don't hum when powered up. Unscrew the rear panel and stick your ear right next to the transformers; if you can localize the humming at a transformer, you can either have it replaced, or, if you're adventurous and inderstand that this amplifier has a power supply with storage caps that can kill you if you touch them accidentally, you might try re-varnishing the laminations yourself.

And hey - IMHO, anyone that's owned a twin and has played for 20 years could probably GIVE lessons... you can't hide a lack of talent or technique with a clean amp like a twin.

Chadwick said:
Locus, I already own a twin reverb. I've had it for about 20 years now and I'll never get rid of it. Thanks for the advice on learning how to play.

That was directed at mt_bottl......not you Chadwick. He ripped on your amp like you bought it as a mistake.

Back