Noisy Fans

lurgan liar

Jimmy Page XXVIII
ok guys,

simple question ...

the heatsink in my pc is very noisy and it needs to be replaced. can any one suggest a good heatsink.

i remember reading on this forum a while ago that zalman are the best ?

thanks in advance

:)

Not a fan of Zalmans, although they are generally recommended for quietening down. I use Arctic Cooling HSFs exclusively since they are cheap and pretty bloody quiet. Most of them come with fan switches too so you can flick the fan down very low while recording, and then stick in up full when you're mixing.

You would be much better looking at reviews and specs. Getting something that can cool a CPU under pressure at ~28dB or less would do you fine.

Most importantly though, if you want advice, say what CPU you have and if possible what 'socket' it fits into.

I have mainboard fanless design which you can turn on through remote control the noise off feature but still the noise is audible, so I use my notebook instead.

TheHunter said:
I have mainboard fanless design which you can turn on through remote control the noise off feature but still the noise is audible, so I use my notebook instead.

That's one of the better things to do if someone is concerned about noise from the computer, the other, would be just isolating the whole computer.

You've opened a whole can of worms here.

Two options: move your pc away from your tracking area (if fan noise when tracking is indeed your problem)

or

quieten your pc. www.silentpcreview.com

Go to the guys there, they'll be able to help you a lot more than the people here.

I've had a lot of Zalman stuff over the years, it's usually pretty good. Make sure what you get fit's properly in your pc. I like to buy cpus just after the model has had a die shrink because they tend to run cooler than their rivals.

I have a Zalman CNPS7000-CU and it is super quiet and it Cools extremely well...

I have my P-4 2.6ghz Overclocked to 3.2ghz and still the CPU barely breaks 35c on a Load and 25c Idle.....Great cooler.....

Cheers

Back