Noisy ADX-90

PYRRHO

I have an ADX-90 clip-on condenser and the little APS-90 power supply/adapter is making a terrible hum. I'm not sure if this is normal or a problem, but the noise stops when I grip the adapter with my hand. The problem is not a faulty connector or cable...pretty sure; doesn't come and go as I wiggle stuff.
Talked with Gene at Audix and he says it may be a blown fet, so he's sending a replacement. What I forgot to mention is that I'm running the mic through a Yamaha MG16/4 with built-in phantom power. Is it possible that I'm having some compatability issues with the board and the adaptor. Again - leave it alone...hum; grab it...quiet. I'm leaning towards some sort of shielding/electromagnetic issue, but I'm way out of my league here. After all...I'm just a drummer.

Sounds like you might be having problem with grounding PYRRHO. Try the system on a different circuit.

Okay...that makes sense. The wiring in my rehearsal space is kinda lame. Didn't consider that...thanks.

I can work around the problem by pulling out the mids on the board. The hum disappears completely. I'll try a different building tomorrow.

Why do you need a power adapter if you are using phantom power? I'm not familliar with those mics but usually you only need an adapter if you don't have phantom power on your board.

well..i bought 3 of them a few months back.

and i sent them both back. they make terrible noise. they are supposed to handle high spls because they are for drums.. but i used mine once and blew the diaphragms? between that and the noisy ass clamps, they found themselves returned.

i can't believe that i used them once and broke 'em just by normal playing.. either that or they were shipped busted, but the chance of 3 of them... shitty mic IMO, 57's havent failed me the past 6 months, and i don't forsee them failing anytime soon.

the power adapter is becuase they are a mini xlr thingy, and they have a larger adapter they plug into. i wouldnt call that a power adapter, its just a mini-xlr to standard xlr. gayness... thats all i can call it..

of course i have an i5 that i love from audix, so what exactly is the deal with that company?

Back