Noisegate in vocal recording

skg

Noisegate are being used to minimise room noise while recording Vocal.
Can any body please tell me that during recording while noise get is open then room noise might have mixed with vocal which may not be distinguised while listening vocal. Is it a correct idea? If so is there any way to eliminate this noise?
Thanks in advance.

You are correct, a noise gate does not block noise while it is open for the vocals (or any other sound, of course).

There is some way to try to remove noise based on a sample recording of nothing but noise... Audacity can do that. However, I think it probably would have a worse result than the original, noisy recording.

The best way to get a noiseless recording would be with decent preamps and microphones, and an acoustically treated room. I don't have a treated room, but I have read hundreds of times that it is absolutely necessary for a good recording... Unless the microphone is really close to the source...

I guess that's another option. Trying recording with the microphone closer to the vocalist's mouth. Any room noise will be less noticeable compared to the vocals.

distinguised
I don't know if that's a word. Do you mean "disguised" or "distinguished"? In this context, those 2 words are pretty much opposites
If so is there any way to eliminate this noise?

That's hard to answer without knowing the source of the noise. Is it an echo-y room? Or are there fridges, air conditioners and computers creating that noise? Or is your equipment noisy? Are you using proper gain staging?

Either way, the best way to eliminate noise is to eliminate the SOURCE OF THE NOISE.

And while we're on the subject - Never - Ever - EVER record through a noise gate.

For reasons I would hope are as obvious as the nose on your face.

And while we're on the subject - Never - Ever - EVER record through a noise gate.

For reasons I would hope are as obvious as the nose on your face.

Unless you're using it for effect. I heard an Imogen Heap song on which the vocals were run through an noise gate for the effect of chopping off the vocal very suddenly. The vocal was already heavily processed though.

This, in the vast majority of cases sounds like absolute ass and should never, ever be done.

Unless you're using it for effect. I heard an Imogen Heap song on which the vocals were run through an noise gate for the effect of chopping off the vocal very suddenly. The vocal was already heavily processed though.

This, in the vast majority of cases sounds like absolute ass and should never, ever be done.

Whether using it for the "regular" use, or as an effect, I still can't see why you wouldn't use it after tape. Headphones? Use a monitor insert. I can't see any benefits of using it while recording. Although I'm nearly positive I had a long debate with somebody here recently for the same reasons. I'm gonna go with Massive on this one. You could ruin THE take because of an incorrect setting. And how are you meant to know what the correct setting is? You can't predict the future.

Don't go there.

I tried it and it ruined my recordings. I won't be using noise gates on vocals again in a hurry.

Though I found running hissy recordings through the mid-top end of a multiband compressor helped somewhat.

Dr. V

Back