Noise Reduction??

It really depends on what kind of music you record.
I love hiss. It sound more natural that way.

I too love the sound of hiss and, indeed, it can sound more natural that way. On the other hand, I do use noise reduction on my cassette portastudio and the TASCAM 388. I don't use it on my TEAC A3440 or the TASCAM 58. It's really a personal choice, depends on the recorder, music material and the type of effect / sound you want. Heck, I've heard no noise reduction used on the 388, which would be blasphemy to some, especially for such narrow track format but I've really enjoyed the sound. Tell me that this doesn't sound great ?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=312544&songID=3450258

Yup, NO noise reduction used! :)

I always use DBX on the multitrack, but I've never used any noise reduction on the 2-track mixdown, and I don't really intend to.

jpmorris said:
I always use DBX on the multitrack, but I've never used any noise reduction on the 2-track mixdown, and I don't really intend to.

Ditto. I've tracked a lot w/a Fostex Model 80 and use the Dolby C NR. Most of it is mixed onto a Tascam 22-2 without any noise reduction. It does add a bit of hiss, but it's not too bad-of all the recordings I've done theer was maybe 1 time where I thought it needed reduction on the mixdown deck (maybe 20 seconds of a song).

Sometimes it's just a matter of personal preference/musical style.

Ding Dong said:
Am I the only one here who has never used noise reduction on any of my recordings?

Evidently not. I don't qualify, since I used the built-in dBx NR in my 388. I have never used any form of NR on any of my wide track machines, ranging from 1/4" 2-track and FT mono to 1" 8-track. That was part of why I moved to the wide track machines.

Cheers,

Otto

Back