noise reduction post production

MGS

I've been trying various noise reduction algorithms to apply to an analogue recording that I did a few years ago. The recording was done on 4-track cassette and I didn't use any n/r during recording. All of the n/r algorithms I've used so far introduce some form of unwanted digital artifacts. In particular, I often hear a metallic "swirling" effect, notably during a decaying vocal sibilance. Some programs seem to introduce less of these noises than others. Is this true of ALL n/r algorithms? Are there any out there that do not introduce artifacts? I really don't have time to try dozens of programs to find the right one.

Mark

algorythym-based noise reduction is still relatively primitive, as far as recording is concerned-it's excellent for being able to hear things, but poor at providing anything remotely musical. my process for noise reduction is as follows:

1. load up the WAV of the recording
2. tinker with a graphic dynamics plugin-totally deadening all sound below about -70 on the soundcard, ramping up from there on, levelling off to even out or even slightly compress the top 12db or so.

i've had very workable results from this-but my signal-to-noise ratio reflects the ~55db level i'm hitting with my mics into my behringer mixer into my sblive, not the typical ~30db from a 4-track (i've heard ~30-please correct me if i'm wrong)-your milage may vary, but just to have a halfway listenable cleaned-up wav, this does the trick for me.

I've read some very good reviews about Waves Restoration bundle , but it's insanely expensive. The big pitch is that it can "learn" from a piece of isolated noise (like the hiss before the song) and intelligently remove it without damaging the audio. I'm sure they have a demo, or you could probably find someone who has it and would run your audio through it for you.

I know this might sound insanely "novice", but I have used the noise reduction feature on Goldwave to clean up cassette recordings with excellent results. There were no detrimental effects added or taken away from the recordings.

Back